The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 27, 2012, 09:14 AM   #26
jd3020

another thing i found was mine on the bayo mount it is a band like the last picture that gak sent. but my gun looks like the bottom gun in the top picture gak sent. as you can see where you grab ahold of the slide and pull it back there is a thicker piece of steel there where the top one dosent have that. mine has that thicker piece of steel on it. also on the bottom of the barrel about half way between the forarm and the sight there is a P stamped in the barrel

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old January 27, 2012, 10:28 AM   #27
COSteve

M1 Carbines come all different ways so configuration is more a case of 'next part out of the bin.' For instance, I have a '43 National Postal Meter that went through a Rock River Arsenal rebuilt (RRA stamped on the stock and the box I got it in 39 years ago for $80) but it's still got a high wood stock, 2 rivet handguard, and doesn't have a bayonet stud. I don't know how that got by inspection but since I got it from RRA stock in their box, I guess some did.

I pulled the carbine out of the box all those years ago and it looked new so I thought it must have been repark'd, however, the Marlin barrel (correct for NPM) gauged at less than 1 at the muzzle (unfired) indicating it possibly was issued but didn't see any use before it was updated. I found out that they just pumped out the rebuilds with whatever parts they had at the time, hence the lack of a bayo lug but all the other updates (Type II sight, lever safety, etc).

Old January 27, 2012, 12:56 PM   #28
gak

Steve, yours appears to be a rare one by itself--a refit that made it through without the bayo lug addition. Don't know if I've ever seen one. It is known some guns were actually refit with certain updates/upgrades at arsenals or maybe even some in field during the war (WWII), so my '43 (bottom gun in the top photo) may have been one, but I doubt; probably a post-war refit like most. In the photo the '43 (re-import) Inland has an Underwood stock. It's since been traded out to a friend "desperate" to complete his otherwise all-Underwood...for an interim refit potbelly M2 stock (Korea or Vietnam era GI contractor but not walnut) as place holder...which will soon get a nice walnut GI Inland stock I lucked into at a gun show to make it once again 99% Inland. A small part remains of different (Underwood, Win or such) origin that'll eventually get changed out too "just because." All this making it "100%" is only important to me as an exercise 'cause I can, and it's so close to begin with. Almost all manufacturers' carbines were designed to accept all other contractors' parts as if it were their own. So, as has been stated, mixmasters are more common than not and most are, in reality, the same great guns with amazing histories the "100%" guns are. It's just fun (or for collectors, valuable if original fit) to have one (or two!) that are all together!
Old January 27, 2012, 01:51 PM   #29
COSteve

You might be right about mine but I been thinking for years that when I got it way back then, it came with the sling & oiler and mag pouch shown on it above as well as the items shown in the picture below; a leather handle bayonet, five of the seven 15rd mags, the cleaning kit, gas plug wrench, and canvas cover for the muzzle; in short, everything one needed to go to war except ammo. (And remember, I got it all for $80.)

Anyway, I'd like to be able to mount the bayo on it as intended so I decided to look for a type 3 barrel band with the bayo lug to replace the one I have so I can display my carbine the way it was suppose to be rebuilt. It's in such good condition I've only shot it about 100rds and the muzzle still mics at a 1 so it's almost new.

I've seen National Postal Meter M1 Carbines in nowhere near as pristine shape as mine and with low wood for $1,200 and up recently so I've decided to save it as a display piece only and pass it down to my son (who's been drooling over it as a collector item for years).

After looking for a decent GI carbine shooter and finding that they too beat up, too worn out, with barrels almost shot out, and at least as expensive, yesterday morning I ordered a NIB Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine for $650 from Bud's Guns to use as a dedicated shooter (btw, I got it for $651). Now we can finally shoot a copy of this great little carbine without fear of damaging a part of history.
Old January 27, 2012, 02:32 PM   #30
manta49

Hi i think the RUC used M1 carbines here in the 80-s. I think its a m1 in the photo below. Perhaps someone more familiar with the m1 can confirm this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 026al.jpg (51.0 KB, 21 views)
Old January 27, 2012, 03:43 PM   #31
Te Anau

Quote:
I have my father's Carbine that he toted on D-Day.
I would consider that priceless!!!
Old January 27, 2012, 03:54 PM   #32
Te Anau

Quote:
actually no i have never thought of that. my grandma has done alot for me and i guess i have just felt like asking to have something of hers would be like a kick in the shorts. but maybe thats not a bad idea to ask
Ask her! Years ago I was always afraid to ask my Grandpa if I could have one of his three rifles.Then he was gone and so were his guns.Still sickens me 25 years later.
Old January 27, 2012, 05:58 PM   #33
jd3020

my dad informed me last night that my uncle will not be getting the guns!!!!! this is good news to me as now they will be passed down to me!!!!!!!!

Old January 27, 2012, 11:58 PM   #34
gc70

jd3020,

Ask grandma what she knows about grandpa and the carbine. You might be surprised by what transpires as a result of showing interest and demonstrating what you have researched.
Old January 28, 2012, 10:50 AM   #35
TX Hunter

Congratulations JD3020,
The guns belong in the hands of a family member like you that has an interest in them. Take care of them, and pass them down to your children when the time comes.
Old January 28, 2012, 02:28 PM   #36
jd3020

DSCN0353.jpg

DSCN0354.jpg

DSCN0357.jpg

Old January 28, 2012, 02:30 PM   #37
jd3020

DSCN0358.jpg

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg

Old January 28, 2012, 02:32 PM   #38
jd3020

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

Old January 28, 2012, 02:37 PM   #39
TX Hunter

Fine looking Carbine, I would like an overall pic, if you can get one, I know its hard to do, but just the bits and pieces, lead me to believe, that its in awesome condition.

OOPs, you had one Picture 53 Had it, Man thats a nice looking M1 Carbine, Its in awesome good shape. If I were you, Id be heading to the range.

Tags
.30cal , carbine , m1 carbine , underwood