The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Little Silas

Shotgun Slugs

What is the best 12 ga., slug for hog hunting in a 24" rifle sights, smooth bore Mossberg 500?
Old August 10, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Likely range of shots? Under 65 or so, I would just use my ol' standby El Cheapo Winchester "Super X"... the higher dollar ones may increase the range (depends on what the gun seems to shoot best and your ability) and there are some made of harder materials and different designs...

Brent
Old August 10, 2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Doyle

The best one is the one that shoots best in your particular barrel. Like has been said MANY times before on this forum, you have to shoot several brands of slugs to find out what your gun likes. As far as terminal perfomance - that much lead kind of makes that question obsolete. Brand or shape won't matter much - they all make big holes and will do the job. The key is to find the flavor that shoots well in your particular gun.
Old August 10, 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
BANG

Shotgun slugs

Brenneke Black Magic Magnum, 3-inch, 12 ga. Slug is 1-3/8 oz and is for big game. These can be used in both smooth and rifled bores.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Rampant_Colt

+2 for Brenneke slugs
Old August 10, 2010, 05:31 PM   #6
jmortimer

Dixie DGS or better yet the Tri-Ball
http://www.dixieslugs.com/
Old August 10, 2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Doyle

Brenneke is a good slug, but there isn't a game animal in N. America that needs a 3" slug. A normal 2 3/4" slug will shoot flatter and the animal will be just as dead. Your shoulder will thank you.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Rampant_Colt

Brenneke offers slugs in 2-3/4" as well.

..and yeah, i agree that 3" magnums aren't really necessary, but can extend the range by a few yards because of flatter trajectory due to higher velocity
Old August 10, 2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Doyle

Some of the new 2 3/4" slugs are now "high velocity". Remington makes one. I'd love to see how that performs.
Old August 11, 2010, 02:26 AM   #10
mathman

Brenneke slugs are the best...and I agree that a 2 3/4" slug is a better choice. This is true not only from a recoil standpoint, but also there have been some reported issues with 3" shells hanging up in pumps and semi-autos at the wrong time.

But Brenneke slugs are second to none. Go with the Green Lightning Slugs.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/60352-5.html
Old August 11, 2010, 09:16 AM   #11
jmortimer

Brenneke are the second best to the Dixie Slugs if the best is defined as the most lethal which is how I would define the "best" - no slug will out penetrate on game and is more effective on any animal on earth. For smaller game something more expansive may be in order but when the slug starts out at
.730 caliber expansion becomes much less important if not irrelevant. I love the Brenneke Black Magic slugs but the Dixie Dangerous Game Slug (DGS) is better without question.
Old August 11, 2010, 02:02 PM   #12
mathman

The dixie slugs should be fired through a rifled barrel if I am not mistaken.

Since most folks with shotguns have smoothebores, I recommend the Brennekes...also, I realy doubt any animal is going to know the difference.

Fish and game in Alaska has long been known to use Brennekes...good enough for them is good enough for me.

Funny thing is this...for real penetration, those 'in the know' would prefer a rifle any day of the week and twice on Sunday...like a 45/70.
Old August 11, 2010, 10:43 PM   #13
jmortimer

Dixie IXL-DGS is an 870 grain hard cast smoothbore slug that clocks 1200 fps out of 20" barrel. For dangerous game the Taylor K.O. formula is a good place to start and the DGS comes in at 109 on Taylor K.O. and the Brenneke Black Magic 3" come in at 94 with a 600 grain slug at 1500 fps from an unspecified barrel length. One is hard cast and one is swaged - one is hard and one is softer. If there were no Dixie Slugs then I would for sure get the Breneke Black Magic.
Old August 12, 2010, 04:54 PM   #14
Glen-Bob

Sorry for the double post. Runaway fingers at work.

Last edited by Glen-Bob; August 12, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old August 12, 2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Glen-Bob

For years I used the Brenneke's in the same setup however, a couple of years ago I switched to Hornady SST's and now use a 870 fully rifled BBL (I know the OP was smooth BBL) to deer hunt in the midwest. 2yrs ago I dropped a buck and doe in their tracks at approx 140 yards. Nobody was more amazed than I. Needless to say I am hooked on them. Here is some info from their website.

Unmatched Long Range Accuracy
The SST® Shotgun Slug delivers true 200 yard accuracy and you'll achieve sub-2" groups at 100 yards. No other slug gun ammo can come close to the performance of the SST®.

Hard-hitting Terminal Performance
The SST® Shotgun Slug packs a target-dropping punch! The 12 GA 300 gr FTX® delivers a crushing 1793 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards and the smaller, 20 GA 250 gr FTX® delivers an impressive 1200 ft/lbs of energy at the same distance.
Old August 30, 2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Little Silas

Shotgun Slugs

I really appreciate the replies.
Since I have a tendency to have tendonitis in both shoulders from old athletic injuries, I'll use the standard 2 3/4" shells with shoulder padding. My Mossberg smooth bore is ported also.
Old August 30, 2010, 04:38 PM   #17
markj

I find the 3 in slugs shoot better out of my shotgun, sabots and a rifled barrel.