The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old January 6, 2006, 07:56 PM   #1
Dust_Devil

Magazine Redux

Received the Februaray issue.

The article discussing AR magazines is pretty interesting. I particularly like the comment that people shouldn't use their beater magazines to save their good magazines for zombie attacks. LOL!

Which I must admit, I have alot of brand new AR mags all wrapped up and what do I use? All the cheaper and older ones, because, I don't know, I don't want to scratch up my new mags until I need them and figure if the older mags work fine, why start using the new ones. I actually still use some cheap after market magazines instead of brand new government issue magaziens I have. I suppose if I was going to really need to use my rifle for something serious besides just shooting on the range, I would use my newer magazines.

The rest of the article has some other good tips in choosing and servicing your AR magazines including the popular 28 rounds in the 30 rnd mag discussion.
Dust_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

I've had several brand new, in the wrap mags not work properly for one reason or another. If nothing else, make sure the one's you're putting away for a rainy day will work when the storm comes.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2006, 07:41 AM   #3
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Denny speaks the truth. I once received a shipment of a large number of
NIW M4A1 carbines with 13 mags per gun. When we loaded the magazines for function firing of the carbines, several had the baseplate tabs break off.

Magazine, like the weapons they feed, are tools. My strong belief is that the vast majority of those posting on this or any other firearms related forum seldom shoot or train.

The only way that you will ever know if anything does work is to use it well and often.

Hope you got something out of that article, and thank you for the feedback!

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2006, 05:25 AM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of mags, I just upgraded three older black-follower mags I had lying around with new springs and Magpul self-levelling followers. If they work out well, I'll spring the ducats to replace the followers in my other mags.

It'll be a week or two before I get a chance to drag the carbine outside and wring these things out; any crystal ball predictions on what I can expect?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2006, 06:43 AM   #5
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Hopefully it will be disgustingly boring!
Magazines are a strange thing, and the attachment that some have to their magazines/ mag voodoo borders on perverse.
After ensuring that the mag body is in good shape, the single most effective thing you can do for your magazine is to replace the black/ green follower with the Magpul follower.
My experience using mags with weak springs is that the Magpul follower alone will prevent almost all mag related problems (again, assuming that the mag body is GTG!) for a while. Eventually a weak spring will not have enough butt to push the follower up.
Eventually you're gonna' have to replace the spring anyway, and out SOP is to replace all existing springs/ followers with Wolff/ ISMI/ SAW springs and Magpul followers.
Keep me updated on your experience with the new followers.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2006, 07:54 AM   #6
KSFreeman

Magpul followers are one of the few things that I have not (yet) managed to break.
Old January 20, 2006, 07:42 AM   #7
STLRN

While conducting the EMP (or is it MOCS now?) a while back we discovered allot of out new in wrap Okays didn't feed off their right feed lip. Moral of the story even new items may not work, they must be tested.