The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 26, 2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Gary Slider

OK, LA, MD & NM Updates – Min Age for Possession/Transporting

Oklahoma starting Nov 1 will allow those from “Permitless Carry” states to carry in Oklahoma with just their state issued ID. Those states that Oklahoma will let its citizens carry in Oklahoma are, Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming. Oklahoma’s law on carrying does not spell out a minimum age for those in Permitless states carrying in OK but they do state you have to be 21 to carry with a permit/license issued n another state. So I would believe they will enforce the 21 Y/O rule on permitless carry. OK will also become an Open Carry State on 11/1/12.

OK WILL NOT allow those from Illinois to Carry in Oklahoma. Illinois is a Permitless State not a Permitless Carry state. Arizona, Alaska and Vermont will allow Illinois residents to carry in their states under their Constitutional Carry Laws or Vermont who has no law against Concealed Carry.

Louisiana will vote Nov. 6 on a new Constitutional Amendment. Amendment 2 changes the wording of the states constitution to state: “The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms is fundamental and shall not be infringed. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.” Some are stating that after the courts decide on issues brought up by this new amendment that this has a good chance of making Louisiana a Constitutional Carry state or at minimum making carrying firearms for self defense less restrictive. Time and the vote will tell. I have not seen any polling etc about the chances of Amendment 2 passing Nov. 6.

The New Mexico Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department is taking comments on a rule change to allow carry in New Mexico State Parks. You can drop them a comment on your concerns on this subject at [email protected] The cutoff date for comments is Oct 31.

A federal appeals court heard arguments Wednesday on Maryland’s controversial requirement that legal gun owners have a “good and substantial reason” to carry concealed weapons. A previous Court struck that part of MD’s law making MD a Shall Issue state. Appeals have kept MD May Issue. It doesn’t matter which way this court rules this case will go to the US Supreme Court before it is settled. There will be a long and drawn out process before we have a definite court answer.

In the “Notes Section” of each States Page at www.handgunlaw.us I have added the Minimum Age for a person without a permit/license to possess and transport a handgun. I have received many question asking this question and finally decided to add that info for each state. If you have any questions about what I have listed as the minimum age or any questions about Handgunlaw.us drop me an email at [email protected]

If you are looking for Handgun Drills to try at the range or Dry Fire Drills check out the Drills and Standards pages at www.handgunlaw.us You can find the links to those documents in the left column on the main page.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
1-DAB

sent an email supporting the change in rules allowing carrying in state parks. hope they do change the rule so it's consistent with fed parks.