The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
cdbeagle

Primer Question

Am new to reloading and have been able to purchase large rifle, small pistol and large pistol primers. Have had a hard time finding small rifles primers which will be used exclusively in an AR-15. I have found some Remington 6 1/2 standard small rifle primers but have read not to use them in .223. Is this hype or would it be safe to use them, especially since they are the only small rifle primers available?
Old February 23, 2013, 01:28 AM   #2
chris in va

From the Midway USA site...

Quote:
Remington does not recommend this primer for use in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 223 Remington, 204 Ruger, 17 Remington Fireball. Use the 7-1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primer in these cartridges.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:45 AM   #3
rfdillon

Primer Question

Cci #41
Old February 23, 2013, 02:23 AM   #4
cdbeagle

I have been trying to find the CCI primers with no luck. Just ordered Wolf 223 primers.
Old February 23, 2013, 02:31 AM   #5
ScottRiqui

When the availability of the CCI #41 gets a little better, they're definitely worth checking out.

One thing I like about them is that the harder cup material makes them not as "picky" when it comes to priming crimped brass. I barely have to swage the primer pocket, and the #41 will still seat just fine. In fact, before I knew better, I primed a bunch of previously-crimped brass with #41 without removing the crimp at all.

Also, the #41 is a different color than the CCI small pistol primers (gold-ish, rather than silver), so if I accidentally leave a few in my primer feeder, I don't get confused as to what they are.
Old February 23, 2013, 03:09 AM   #6
cdbeagle

I will definitely try the CCI's when I run out of the Wolf's. I got 5000 for $129.00 online(includes shipping and hazardous fees) so it will probably take me awhile to go through them.