The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 22, 2012, 12:52 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Cross-bow Check out?

I hope we all are aware of the great revolver check-out available in the revolver section of the forum. I bought a used bow earlier this year totally blind, it was laminate wood and looked AWESOME, and it was a total dud. Used cross-bows are pretty cheap. Half or less of retail it seems.
Several people have told me to stay away from recurves as they lose power after a couple years, but otherwise I have no idea. Is there any way to tell if it has been dry-fired and such? A wood/laminant bow will have cracks, but what about a pure ploymer cross-bow?
Old October 22, 2012, 02:07 PM   #2
sc outdoorsman

We have a local hunting and fishing shop/outfitter that specializes in bow hunting. He sells, tunes and modifies all types if bows. There is also a onsite bow range. If I were in the market for a used bow, I would have someone like this check it out for me and shoot it myself before buying. Other than that it is pretty much speculation on your part.
Old October 22, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3

My son's buddy bought an older Barnett and had the string break on the third shot. I know that you just never know when buying used equipment. Some crossbows are equiped with triggers that make it impossible to dry fire, to answer one of your questions. Tenpoint has a great reputation but are still pricey even bought used. Excaliber is a well known long time crossbow company but, is also a recurve design which I don't personally like. That doesn't mean squat.......I'm no expert. I have a newer Barnett and really like it so far. Hopefully it lasts a long time but who knows. I have heard the older Barnetts are not so reliable. Besides my son's buddy, I have a friend that had trigger issues with a Barnett Predator made in 08. Parker and Horton have good reps although some of the Hortons are made in China and that dog doesn't hunt with me.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

I can hardly imagine going into a shop and asking them to test out the bow I was buying from someone else, especially when I am not a regular customer.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5
PTS1

Your best bet for buying a used crossbow and are worried about it being dry-fired is Excalibur. They even claim that a dry fire now and again will not damage the limbs one bit (although they recommend not doing it intentionally). In addition, they have a lifetime transferable warranty, so if it does go bad, just send it to them to have it fixed/replaced. Yes it is a recurve, but that is why you can dry-fire and not have issues. Try that with a compound and see what happens.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
shortwave

I'm no expert on Excalibur bows but I do know that when shooting most bows in either compound or recurve, the arrow/bolt absords about 70-75 percent of the released energy and dry firing is a definite NO-NO.

I can't see how the design of the Excalibur would be any less stressfull on their limbs versus any other recurve bow. Would like to know the answer to that one.

Could it be that Excalibur just has a warranty that will replace exploded/cracked limbs if someone dry fires their bows?

FWIW, if I bought an Excalibur, I wouldn't dry fire it regardless.

To the OP's question. Other then visually inspecting the limbs(even using a magnifying glass), cams etc. for stress cracks and seeing them, I don't know of another method for a person to 'spot check' a bow for damages. Then there may be stress cracks not visible to the naked eye.

Other then having the limbs x-ray'ed, I don't know of a guaranteed way checking the limbs.

Buying any used bow can be a gamble.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Most modern, high-poundage crossbows will blow themselves apart if they're dry-fired. There are reports all over the 'net. Check out ArcheryTalk forums.

BTW, if you're looking for a crossbow, don't try any of the Horton or Scorpyd models with the reverse limbs UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED TO SPEND THE MONEY because once you use one of them, all the rest feel like garbage, in terms of balance/weight distribution.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:07 PM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
BTW, if you're looking for a crossbow, don't try any of the Horton or Scorpyd models with the reverse limbs UNLESS YOU'RE PREPARED TO SPEND THE MONEY because once you use one of them, all the rest feel like garbage, in terms of balance/weight distribution.
Thanks Brian...have been looking at the Horton reversed limb'ed bows and trying to put off getting one...

...YOU'RE NOT HELPING.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to be of assistance. I have a Horton Vision that I really like. It shoots 415gr arrows 307fps with LimbSaver paraphernalia attached, 315 without, but it's much quieter with.

I'd love to trade up to the Fury, rated at 360fps, but there's really no need. It's virtually impossible for deer to "jump the string" at any modern bow speed and another 50 fps isn't going to solve range estimation problems to any real degree. The difference between 25 and 30 isn't enough to matter and the difference between 50 and 55 still would anyway.

NY was inches from legalizing crossbows during regular archery season last year and the bill authorizing them during rifle season expires next year, so I hope they get heads out of their backsides before then.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:18 PM   #10
shortwave

Both mine are Legend SL's and other then just upgrading and getting something new, just have never seen the need for another.

But I do like the inverted limbs and have my eye on them.

Hopefully NY will change and allow CB during reg. archery season.
I would be in trouble if Ohio didn't allow it cause I can no longer pull a bow due to shoulder injury. I really miss shooting my long bows.