The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2011, 07:16 AM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Lyman Casting Books 3rd. & 4Th. Editions

I have read some complaints that the 4th. edition of the Lyman Casting Book does not have the amount of information that the 3rd. edition contains, yet there are newer powders made now that are probably not listed in the 3rd. edition. For re-loaders that do not work with unusual calibres/loads does anyone recommend getting a copy of third edition if it can still be found?
Old August 4, 2011, 07:27 AM   #2
PawPaw

There is lots of good information in that manual, and while there are new powders being introduced at a regular rate, that doesn't mean that all those powders are suitable for cast bullet applications. Some are, some aren't.

Ny edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook doesn't have (for example) TrailBoss powder, but that doesn't mean that the manual is less valuable. There is still a ton of information there that is extremely useful for the bullet caster. If I need information on TrailBoss I can get it from the IMR/Hodgdon website.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 4, 2011, 07:47 AM   #3
UtopiaTexasG19

Complaints I read have been that the 4th. edition is about 1/2 the size of the third edition. What I am trying to find out is what information is missing from the 4th. edition that is found in the 3rd. edition. Thanks...