The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

View Poll Results: Which branch would you joing?
Marines 16 20.78%
Army 27 35.06%
Navy 6 7.79%
Coast Guard 10 12.99%
Air Force 11 14.29%
None. No military. Never. No 7 9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8, 2006, 06:58 AM   #76
Handy

Steelheart,
Quote:
Go to college instead; you can get training there, and you will be surrounded by other parasites who think like you.
Your other statements didn't really mitigate this one.
Old May 8, 2006, 09:37 AM   #77
CobrayCommando

Old May 8, 2006, 05:02 PM   #78
NRAhab

To GLP: who wants to join the Coast Guard because he doesn't want to be in the "real military".

I was in the Coast Guard. It is the military. Several of my friends are in the Persian Gulf right now. Believe me, we don't want you. It's even more ironic that you were attracted to the Port Security rating, which is one of the most "military" oriented ratings in the Guard. When I got out two years ago, there was at least one PSU deployed to the sandbox.

Serving in the Coast Guard isn't some easy ride ticket into an LE job, either. The great thing about the Coast Guard is because it's so small and the cutters are so old, it's really, really hard to coast for a four year enlistment. You end up on a 210 doing an LE patrol in the caribean and you will work your little butt off.

On a lighter note, I am greatly amused that more people said they'd want to be Coasties than Squidies. That's because the navy sucks.

Just joking. I've got nothing but love for my less nautical brethen.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:15 PM   #79
ISP2605

"Second, when I said I dont want to die for something I dont agree with in the first place, I was referring to War."

Give you a clue here. In LE you're going to have to do a lot of stuff you don't agree with, just like in the military. You'll be dealing with a lot of people you don't agree with, having to jump and run to handle things you disagree with.
If you think the Coasties aren't real military then you'll be in for an awakening too. And they have to do a lot of things you probably wouldn't agree with either.
Take the advice given by most. Find a different line of work. You aren't cut out for either the military or LE.
BTW, I spent over 35 yrs as a LEO and 26.5 yrs in the military. I'd as soon have someone with a different attitude in either of my former professions. You won't be doing either job a service nor will you be welcome by those in those professions who are there because they have their heart and head in the right place.
Old May 9, 2006, 01:55 AM   #80
CobrayCommando

Guys... seriously...

GLP=

Shall we let this thread die? It's for the best, clearly it's grown tired of living.