The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 22, 2002, 08:34 PM   #1
Moe

Barrel length = ? velocity

I wonder If I am going arround in circles here but here it goes. I habe a 28" benelli m1s90 and want a shorter barrel. However I do several things with it. I do a little upland, a bit more action shooting and a fair bit of duck. I know duck hunters traditionally use long barrels. Probably more for a smooth swing than anything.
I have read that after 21" of barrel the shot will not increase in velocity in the barrel. That being the case I am thinking of trading in my gun for a 21" model to get the small gun advatage.
I do not want to switch from one barrel to the other because I believe the change from one barrel to the other will work against me because of the change of ballance.

Do you think that 28" will have a higher velocity than 21"? Please tell me your thoughts on what I have stated.
Old April 23, 2002, 12:36 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

FAIK, shotguns' velocity standard is a 28" barrel & for certain, a 21" will be less than the 28" (all else being equal).

But, as opposed to rifles, shotguns lose only ~20 fps per 1" of barrel less than that 28" (if that is the standard). I'd have to dig up a book fer certain, but as recalled ....

Figure if a starting load is 1300 fps, you end up with 140 fps less = 1160 fps (or so). Nothing to worry about.

Picked up a Rem 870 Express Turkey-shooter a while back w/a 21" bbl - it's turned into my all-round shotgun with nary a look back.

Choke & load selection'll make more of a difference than barrel length - the rest is up to you.
Old April 23, 2002, 04:33 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's little more loss going to a 21" bbl from a 28" one than you'll find in shell to shell variation. Not to worry.

Frankenstein, my overpublicized parts gun has a 21" bbl. Gotten a few geese and ducks with it, and some upland game. Huntng buds have commented on it's blast and flash in low light. That's an indication powder isn't done burning, but results on game are good.

The short bbl, hence light front end, means one has to work a bit more to keep the swing huh, swinging. Easy to adapt to it...
Old April 23, 2002, 11:46 AM   #4
Brian Newbill

I would be more worried about the muzzleblast out of a short barrel than I would velocity loss. Really short barrels make an awful lot of noise.

If you hunt with someone you might want to take their hearing into consideration.