The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2009, 03:33 AM   #1
bossharp

Can a PG Stocked 930 REALLY 'Do it all'...????

Hello everyone my first post!! I am planing to get a 24" black PC stocked Mossberg 930 'Turkey' gun as my 'Do it all' shotgun and I wanted to get some feedback from ya'll on the forum...This will truly be my only shotgun [Son get gets my FC Topper SS] so it will have to do a lot...I'll add a 4 or 5 round mag ex. tube,sling,light, and maybe a lazer sight..No side saddle but I will replace the xxfull it comes with a IC..It comes with fiber optic FR adj. rifle sights that really looked good in the store,I am hoping in low light they will work much better for me than a ghost ring that comes on the SPX.....HD will be it's most importent job right now..At some time in the future I might cut it back to 20" or 22" if resetting the F sight is not to hard or expensive..That way I'll lose the 'ports' and make it more handy inside..I'll decide on the ex mag tube AFTER barrel length..LOL! The SPX costs a lot more,I don't need or want the rail or GS.But DO want .2 or possibly 3,more rounds in the ex mag tube than comes in a SPX..It wont be perfect for everything but if/when it hits the fan a 10 shot 930 could be a real 'comfort'.....
Old September 20, 2009, 03:44 AM   #2
jgcoastie

Whew... There were more acronyms in that first post than I've seen in entire threads... I'm not exactly sure what the hell you were talking about...

I have a Mossberg 930 and it's been a great duck/ptarmigan/rabbit/squirrel gun. I have a Benelli SuperNova Tactical to fill the HD role. The 930 will do anything a you need it to, but I'd leave it stock personally... There's no such thing as a "do it all and be the best doing it" gun of any type. Each will have its strengths and weaknesses. I'd say keep the 930 more or less stock for hunting and such and get an 18"-20" barrel pump-action of whatever brand suits your fancy for HD. I prefer a pump over a semi-auto shotgun when momma and babies are at stake.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.