The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
4 Paws

Beretta 92

Was at the local shop today and happened upon a used Beretta 92 in the case, priced at $650. I thought the price had to be close to full new retail, and the clerk said it was the same, even showing me a new one. When I asked why the price would be the same, he said the used gun was pre ban with a higher capacity magazine. My gut is telling me the shop alloted the prior owner a little too much on the trade in value. Would anyone here take the used pistol when the same can be had new for the same cost?
Old November 17, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Atbat82

Is there actually a difference in mag capacity?

I probably would opt for the new gun, but then again, I'm a total noob...so what do I know.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Crow Hunter

Are you in a state that has some form of the 1994 AWB still in place?

If so, the "preban" gun probably comes with standard capacity magazines. (15 rounds in the case of the Beretta)

The new gun will likely come with neutered ban mags at a reduced capacity.

So it would depend on whether you want the magazines the gun was designed around or not.

Personally, I lucked into a pile of Beretta 92 military magazines during the AWB and I bought a gun just to be able to use them.

Good luck.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
4thHorseman

Hello, New ones are all over for about $500. Just for a price check, try Gunsamerica.com for a general guide.
Hope this helps.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old November 18, 2012, 03:44 AM   #5
warnerwh

I use Gunbroker to check prices. If you sign up you can check what things actually sold for too.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Homerboy

Unless you live in a state with a magazine capacity limit, buy the new one. Beretta mags are everywhere. The new ones are indistinguishable from pre bans. During the AWB, they were marked LEO USE ONLY, but they are not anymore. You cannot tell the difference between a mag made in 1993 and one made last week. Floorplates are often changed out even on older mags. And $650 is too high for a new Beretta.

HOWEVER, if the used gun is old enough that it has the metal trigger and guiderod, AND is in comparable shape as the new one, I would get the used one. The plastic trigger and guiderod bugged me and I spent $90 to replace them on my M9.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:08 AM   #7
FairWarning

Always shop gunbroker.com first to get the typical selling value (not ASKING value) of guns in various conditions.

Gunsamerica.com tends to have higher asking prices, while gunbroker is more representative of the better deals you can find.

With a little net research you might be able to find a FFL that will transfer for free in your area also. And of course there is no tax if you buy the gun from another state.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:17 PM   #8
insaneranger

Was this a standard black model 92FS or Inox (stainless)? There are some pre ban mags that guys will pay a little more for, but it sounds like a bit of price gouging IMO. You can get a brand new 92FS for $550 or a little more and a new 92A1 for $600-$650 range. I've seen original stainless 92 mags go for $50-$100 each used, but used standard black mags should go more in the $15-$25 range at the most.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:23 PM   #9
insaneranger

Quote:
HOWEVER, if the used gun is old enough that it has the metal trigger and guiderod, AND is in comparable shape as the new one, I would get the used one. The plastic trigger and guiderod bugged me and I spent $90 to replace them on my M9.
I'm curious as to why it cost so much to get them replaced? I'm assuming that's gunsmithing fees. A new metal trigger and metal guide rod are around $40-$45 at most for the parts and only takes 15 minutes to replace. I've changed out tons of these before.
Old November 20, 2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Homerboy

Quote:
I'm curious as to why it cost so much to get them replaced? I'm assuming that's gunsmithing fees. A new metal trigger and metal guide rod are around $40-$45 at most for the parts and only takes 15 minutes to replace. I've changed out tons of these before.
Trigger was $55. Guiderod was $20 (I think). Throw in shipping and I guess it was less than $90, but not much. I also put in the WOLF INS trigger return spring. That was also about $20. Put them in myself. Took 15 minutes.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:17 PM   #11
ftballgod

i just was at my local gun shop. they had a used stainless one for $500
Old November 20, 2012, 10:24 PM   #12
medalguy

And cheap mags are everywhere. I bought a box full (17 of them) last month for $4 each, all USGI and like new. They looked like they had been used 1 or 2 times at most, didn't even have any sand in them.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:33 AM   #13
Crow Hunter

Quote:
And cheap mags are everywhere. I bought a box full (17 of them) last month for $4 each, all USGI and like new. They looked like they had been used 1 or 2 times at most, didn't even have any sand in them.
If they are marked CMI, check them 1st before you rely on them for anything other than range mags. You might need to polish out the inside of the mag body. Some of the CMI mags had too much parkerizing inside of the mag body and caused the follower to drag.

If they are marked MecGar or Beretta factory you made a great buy.

Good luck.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Stressfire

Quote:
Unless you live in a state with a magazine capacity limit, buy the new one. Beretta mags are everywhere. The new ones are indistinguishable from pre bans. During the AWB, they were marked LEO USE ONLY, but they are not anymore. You cannot tell the difference between a mag made in 1993 and one made last week. Floorplates are often changed out even on older mags. And $650 is too high for a new Beretta.
Yes, indeed. "Pre-ban" is just about meaningless anymore outside the states that still limit mag capacity.

+1 to the metal trigger/guide rod and the decocker (that's plastic on new ones) - but I don't know if I'd pay $650 just to have those parts.

Having said that, Beretta 92 with polymer parts was my first pistol. Price tag was $650. Managed to get it for $600 and I still overpaid. Came with 2 15rnd factory mags. Cost of youth and impulse buying, but it is still my favorite. Plus, I learned good lessons about proper negotiating skills

If "Pre-ban" status is what the price hangs on, and you don't have state laws restricting capacity - I'd get the new one and talk the price down a bit if possible