The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 31, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1
SanctusBells

Ruger Single Six vs. Colt New Frontier?

Which would you choose and why? I would really appreciate hearing from people who have handled and shot both revolvers.

Is the Colt New Frontier (not the Scout) best compared to the Ruger Single Six or the Ruger Bearcat?

I need a single-action .22 revolver and have been borrowing a Single Six. It seems rock solid and shoots well but it doesn't feel all that great in my hand. I haven't found a Colt New Frontier to try yet.

We have little competitions where we shoot at different stages of metal plates and fairly short distances and I'm curious if the Colt or the Ruger would be best suited?

Finally in that sort of shooting, would there be any real advantage or disadvantage in the longer barreled Colt New Frontier Buntline over the New Frontier? Thank you.
Old July 31, 2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Jimmy10mm

I had a 4 3/4 bbl NF with the 22LR and 22 Mag cylinders back in the seventies. A real fun gun to shoot. Probably shouldn't have sold it. They bring a premium now. I'd probably opt for the Ruger just to save the $$.
Old July 31, 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
CajunBass

The New Frontier is about the same size as the Single-Six. The Bearcat is a much smaller gun.

Bearcat & Single-Six (New Model) together.

I had a New Frontier back in the 80's. I wish I'd kept it. I don't think there's much difference in the way the two shoot, but the Colt was a really nice gun and they don't turn up every day.

You might try looking for an old three screw Ruger. The grip on those is different from the New Model, and is more like the Colt's grip.

As shooters, I'd rate them about even. Give the edge to Colt for looks, to Ruger for price.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 31, 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
SanctusBells

Thanks for the great response. If well cared fore are both the Colt and Ruger equally durable?
Old July 31, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
JT-AR-MG42

Colt

I would have to give the edge to the New Frontier. Mine feels better in the hand than the 'square' feeling wooden grips on my 3 screw single six.

I do not have a single six with the hard rubber grips though and you might check one out before buying either.

In my honest opinion, I believe you will not be disappointed with a Colt. It is just a reduced size SAA NF and everybody likes them!

JT
Old July 31, 2010, 08:07 PM   #6
CajunBass

Quote:
In my honest opinion, I believe you will not be disappointed with a Colt. It is just a reduced size SAA NF and everybody likes them!
Oh, I don't think he would be either. There is something about a Colt.

Quote:
If well cared fore are both the Colt and Ruger equally durable?
I wouldn't worry about wearing either one of them out. I suppose you might have to replace a spring once in a while, but that's not a big deal.

BTW. That three screw pictured above was made in 1958. The old girl still looks pretty good.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 31, 2010, 08:32 PM   #7
rep1954

I have both the Ruger Single Six and a Colt New Frontier 22. The Ruger and the Colts that come with both the 22LR and 22Mag cylinders have barrel bores made to shoot the lager 22Mag. round, which is .002" larger than the 22LR. Now if you buy a Ruger that was made before they came out with the convertibles or a New Frontier who's barrel is maked "New Frontier 22" they are made with the correct bore for 22LR. When I shoot my Ruger SS's I usally shoot 22WMR or 22WRF ammo and shoot the 22LR's I my New Frontier 22 or my semiauto Rugers.
Old August 1, 2010, 12:14 AM   #8
Mike1957

I don`t think you would be dissapointed with either pistol.
The Colt New Frontier .22 is a nicely finished gun with a slick action. They are getting a little pricey these days, all colt revolvers are to some degree.
If well cared for it should continue to go up in value.

The Single Six is a little bit cruder finish and rougher action (easily smoothed out) but more reasonably priced. They are also tough, durable little guns.
But unless you shoot an AWFUL LOT you would have a hard time wearing out either one.

Take your pick. The Ruger is cheaper and tougher, the Colt is nicer and a bit more accurate. Also probably a better investment if well cared for.
Personally I prefer the Colt just for the way it feels in your hand and the way it balances. But that`s pretty subjective. Someone else might see it the other way around.

A nice condition Colt NF .22LR only. (you can also find them with the .22mag cylinder)

A Single Six convertable with fixed sights. (the adjustable sight model is more common and easy to find)

Old August 1, 2010, 07:46 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Over the years I have had a Ruger SS, Colt NF and a Ruger BC. For me the Colt had the best "feel". All three were accurate revolvers with the right ammo. I just get bored with SA rim fire pistols so I sold them. Each time for a Ruger .22 auto.
Old August 1, 2010, 08:41 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

I have a Ruger Super Single Six in stainless steel that was built in 1974. I have carried and used it extensively in all the years since. It is as new looking and reliable now as it was then. It feels good in the hand. I seldom use the mag cylinder but that is not the guns fault. Based on my experience I would be hard pressed to even consider another make if I were purchasing another .22 SA today.
Old August 1, 2010, 10:32 AM   #11
SanctusBells

There has been some really good feedback on my question -- thanks a lot.

It's tough to find a Single Six AND a New Frontier at the same place to really compare so I appreciate the help. I own a number of Ruger firearms and I deeply appreciate them but sometimes a firearm just doesn't feel "right" in one hand or it might have the bellybutton syndrome -- everyone has one which often makes me look elsewhere.

I think I might look into a New Frontier Buntline...
Old August 1, 2010, 10:42 AM   #12
rep1954

I gave $400.00 for this 1982 New Frontier 22 about 3 yrs. ago. It was new in the box with all papers. It's the only all blue one I've seen.
Old August 1, 2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Radar

Two of my favorite shooters, Single Six 9.5"(you mentioned Buntline), and Bearcat. I put Super Blackhawk grips on the SS, fills the hand much better.
The little Bearcat took some time getting a feel for, but I can hit golf balls at 25 yds, and clays at 50 now. It likes hyper velocity ammo the best for some reason. The SS shoots 1.5" groups at 50 with irons from bags, better with the 4x scope-1" on a good day, and clovers at 25 yds with Maxi-Mags.

SS with the scope...

So I guess you need both
Old August 1, 2010, 11:17 AM   #14
dreamweaver

just my 2c;
i collect colts, but i shoot rugers. easier to find a smith to tune a ruger. cheaper too.
reger is the way to go,except for fast draw; i use a "tweaked" colt.

Tags
buntline , colt new frontier , ruger single six