The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 10:09 PM   #26
marine6680

Quote:
I understand the causation by correlation bit, but not exactly what statement you are referring to.

What he meant... I could not tell you.

But I can guess he meant about guns being traced and therefore must be used in crime.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:30 PM   #27
redneck

Seems to me that someone on a high point budget for their pistol doesn't have a fort knoxx budget for a safe. I would wager a guess that more high points get stolen than kimbers, making them more likely to be used in crime than kimbers.
I have seen some very shady characters in gunshops but I find it very hard to believe that a criminal's first choice in acquiring a weapon is ever to purchase it legally through a dealer. I don't think that high points are any more desireable to a criminal, I just think they are more available due to who can buy them and how they keep them.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:46 PM   #28
5whiskey

I can't speak for every police agency, but we rarely run an ATF trace on a firearm that's turned in or found. I will run an NCIC check, otherwise it's placed in evidence as found property.

Now if it was found in a sleazy "don't ask" hotel then we may... especially if it's obvious that the previous room occupants are up to no good. For the most part, we don't run a trace unless the firearm was recovered from a gang banger CCW or used in any other crime.

FWIW, I giggle when we recover Brycos, Jennings, or Lorcins. When I get a high point, or especially a glock, off of someone... well it worries me that they have something that is more likely to work properly and hurt me than it is to blow up in their hand.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:24 PM   #29
Yung.gunr

I totally agree with carguychris and redneck. I don't think the traces can be related to whether or not it was purchased by the end criminal.

When I had only one pistol you can bet I didn't have a safe to keep it in. I barely had enough to by the gun or feed it. It's all about accessability with criminals and their guns.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:16 PM   #30
insomni

Quote:
I would have never noticed they quit selling highpoints.
This. Where I live I would notice more if a place DID sell them.
Old October 27, 2012, 09:53 PM   #31
johnwilliamson062

"This. Where I live I would notice more if a place DID sell them."
Well, I live in the Dayton area and everybody likes the home team.

I like them as do many other owners. Not at current prices, $179 locally for 9mm pistol, but I like them. They are all over Dayton. Almost everyone does is has owned them.

People are relatively careless with them. When I had one it sat in my glovebox for a long time and I wouldn't do that with even my Glock.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:39 PM   #32
ccwnut

I was at a gun show a few weeks ago. I went looking to buy a C9, but most of the dealers were clearly insulted at the idea of stocking them. They all had plenty of Glocks, M&P's, and the like. At least they know quality when they see it. By the way, the only reason I wanted Hi-Points was for SHTF.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:44 PM   #33
johnwilliamson062

I had a buddy mention he was thinking about getting a 9mm for everyone in the family just in case(Youngest is 15). Asked me what I thougt he should get. I said HiPoints. I said run 400 rounds through each like I would with ANY new gun bought for defensive purposes. Preferably with the intended user pulling the trigger. If they are running well at that point don't think twice. If not the warranty service is top rate.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:31 AM   #34
Hiddenpiece

i think more people would like them if they weren't so ugly and clunky.
but for the money, i don't know of a more reliable 9mm on the market.
for a concealed carry? .......it's a little bulky to hide but i guess you could. mine cost $95 when i bought it new. they have never failed to shoot, actually haven't had ANY mechanical problems with them. (except wolf ammo)
i might be a little prejudice about them because i live pretty close to the little factory they're made in. (not dayton oh.) they are plentiful in the gun stores around here.
i wonder if there are more hi-points confiscated in crimes here than any where else...... i'll have to check into that.

another case of a few bad people givin' somethin' good, a bad reputation.
Clint Eastwood: "the .44 magnum. the most powerful handgun in the world. it can blow a mans head clean off. in all this excitement i can't remember if i fired 5, or if i fired 6 shots. but you got to ask yourself this one question, do you feel lucky..... punk.... well, do ya?"
john 3:16-17-18, romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13

Last edited by Hiddenpiece; October 28, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old October 28, 2012, 01:03 AM   #35
shortwave

Quote:
I was at a gun show a few weeks ago. I went looking to buy a C9, but most of the dealers were clearly insulted at the idea of stocking them. They all had plenty of Glocks, M&P's, and the like. At least they know quality when they see it.

HP's are clunky ,boxy and ugly. But they are priced cheap and they work.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:04 AM   #36
EdInk

The Hi-point is an inexpensive firearm that almost anyone can afford to own for protection. They are reliable and carry good warranty service based on firsthand owner feedback. Unfortunately, the criminal element has taken a liking to them for the same reasons (low cost and reliability) as law-abiding citizens. It is because of their usage of the Hi-point pistols, they get a reputation as tools used by thugs and require law enforcement agencies to perform investigations about ownership when one is recovered from a crime. The result is a lot of dealers do not want the the stigma and hassle associated with selling the product.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #37
Sharpsdressed Man

Why, oh why, would anyone leave a gun ANYWHERE to be discovered, and possibly traced back to them? Riverbeds, lakes, an old cemetery, uinder the rocks under a bridge, or hammered into smitherines and disposed of one piece at a time with the garbage. Sheesh! Can't we be a little creative here?
Old October 28, 2012, 12:57 PM   #38
Microgunner

I agree with redneck, criminals carry whatever they can steal or purchase stolen in their own neighborhoods where they feel comfortable.
These neighborhoods tend to be poor and cheap firearms are the norm.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:29 PM   #39
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
They seem to have stopped publishing the data awhile back, but here's a general idea:

Quote:
10 most frequently traced guns in 1994

1 Lorcin P25 (3,223)
2 Davis Industries P380 (2,454)
3 Raven Arms MP25 (2,107)
4 Lorcin L25 (1,258)
5 Mossburg 500 (1,015)
6 Phoenix Arms Raven (959)
7 Jennings J22 (929)
8 Ruger P89 (895)
9 Glock 17 (843)
10 Bryco 38 (820)

Source: ATF, May 1995. [pdf file]

The industry has changed in some respects. Lorcin, Davis, Raven, Jennings, and Bryco are no longer around, and Hi-Point is a relative newcomer. However, the criminal MO hasn't changed much. If there's one common factor, it's price.
In 2000,
Quote:
1. Smith and Wesson .38 revolver
2. Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic
3. Lorcin Engineering .380 semiautomatic
4. Raven Arms .25 semiautomatic
5. Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun
6. Smith and Wesson 9mm semiautomatic
7. Smith and Wesson .357 revolver
8. Bryco Arms 9mm semiautomatic
9. Bryco Arms .380 semiautomatic
10. Davis Industries .380 semiautomatic

The list is derived from the center's investigations of 88,570 guns recovered from crime scenes in 46 cities in 2000, is being analyzed for ATF's youth gun crime interdiction initiative, which helps local police forces understand and counter gun trafficking to youth in their jurisdictions.
Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz2AcikuNQh