The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2012, 06:25 AM   #26
oldpapps

"how do you define "cost"? for me, the cost of factory ammo is inflated by the fact that I prefer to shoot my own ammo in any gun."

Looks like the 'cost' has been reached here with out checking prices. I fully agree, I haven't bought factory stuff in many years.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old September 17, 2012, 10:54 PM   #27
Para Cassatt

One thing I've done to reduce the amount of cash I've been spending on reloading was to reduce the number of calibers I have and just buy more firearms of the same caliber. The past 3 or 4 years I haven't even been able to make range trips every week making it harder to enjoy all of them. By cutting back on all the different components and hardware I now can spend more money and less time making ammo I enjoy the most. I have managed to sell off my 7.62x39 and 54R, 3006, 22-250, 8x56R and hope to add the 243 to the guns & gear gone list soon. I even sold a neat old 1905 S&W 32-20 before I even shot just so I would start buying up a bunch gear. I know this sounds like a hideous illness but I still have plenty to keep me busy.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:49 AM   #28
oldmanFCSA

I also cast bullets when I find the inclination to do so, 22 Hornet, 243/6mm, 38 Spcl, 357Mag, 357Max, 44Spcl, 44Mag, 444Mar, 452RoundBall, and others.

I also have duplicates (7) of the same rifles, and find I load differently for each rifle due to twist of barrels (223)

I feel sorry for the people who retire and find they have nothing to do, I retired and have so flipping many projects that I better live another complete life or two to finish most of them. I have been teaching my children most of my reloading stuff and have detailed memos about most of them that I complete. Not planning on leaving for at least 15 years.

Starting to feel old as friends have been kidding me all month as I turn 60 on Friday (retired on disability due to leg injuries).

More later - got work to do as I have a LeBlond Regal 17X60 lathe and a Bridgeport 9X49 Vertical Mill coming Saturday = More Projects !!!
Old September 18, 2012, 07:23 PM   #29
John D

Have a similar dilemma: I have a Remington Rolling Block in 7mm Mauser, 100 years old. Found some Federal ammo at a gun show and shot half - really cool! But, ammo is hard to find and I want relatively mild loads to preserve the rifle. Reload, right?

However, I really don't plan on shooting it very often. Is it worth the expense of buying dies, brass, etc. for a rifle that's not shot very often?
Old September 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #30
10 Spot Terminator

You HAVE TO reload for all of them to justify the cost of all your equipment to the ol lady ,,,