The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 24, 2004, 03:44 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Wearing rings and other jewellry

Although not technically firearms-related, this is related to personal safety issues, like carrying a gun. I stopped wearing my college class ring a few years back, primarily because it started to seem silly after 7-8 years out of college, but also due to the fact that people lose fingers from wearing rings when caught on something fast and powerful, such as machinery, etc. I know that people in certain professions, with large heavy things whizzing around, avoid wearing rings ("I CAN'T wear my wedding ring, honey - it's not safe." ). So how many of you consciously avoid rings purely for reasons of personal safety? And if so, what job/trade are you in? And also, what about watches? Would one be wise to wear a watch that has a weaker-strength band, simply so that it would break rather than taking your hand off or injuring your hand in the event of a serious snag?
Old November 24, 2004, 04:44 PM   #2
mete

I have never worn jewelry because of training as a kid on machinery.There are many examples of jewelry and clothing getting caught in machinery and causing injury or death. When I worked for the power company there was a young lineman who got married and his wife insisted that he wear his wedding ring. It wore through his rubber glove and he was electrocuted . Young people today wear lots of baggy clothing - it's a disaster waiting to happen. 25 years ago youngsters liked very long winter scarves . More than one was killed when the scarf caught in the track of a snowmobile .
Old November 24, 2004, 04:57 PM   #3
FallenPhoenix

I don't wear rings because after typing all day it starts to rub on the inside of adjacent fingers. I used to wear a necklace but lost the reason to.
Old November 24, 2004, 06:56 PM   #4
Dwight55

Several years ago, the Air National Guard lost a member over a wedding ring. He was doing a fast exit out the rear, . . . down a canvas chute. For some unknown reason, he swung out on an overhead bar and let loose.

His wedding ring caught on a grease zirc or something on the bar and when his full weight hit: it litterally pulled out his ring finger from his left hand.

A few months later, my own wedding band got caught on a button in a service elevator. The door was trying its best to close, . . . while pushing my 170 pound body away from where my left hand was held captive by my wedding ring.

It took two events to "de ring" me, . . . but haven't worn any ring or watch for over 25 years, . . . and don't miss em. (Use my cell phone to find out what time it is, . . . if there isn't a clock nearby)

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 24, 2004, 06:57 PM   #5
claude783

I work in a power plant (licensed steam plant engineer). My duties include boilers, pumps, air compressors, etc.

However, many years ago, my buddy was doing a minor repair on his car, touched the wrench from the battery to the car, which caused it to "ground". This in turn "welded" his wedding band to the wrench...an interesting object lesson as he went screaming to the nearest water source...next had to take a hack saw and cut the ring off his swollen finger!

I carry a pocket watch. Don't want anything on my hands. This has caused me problems with wify-poo as she thinks I "don't" want to wear a wedding band..which I don't, but not because I'm running around or intend to run around.

I have also noticed in offices that the copy machine will have "dings" in the glass, seems that women tend to bump their "diamond" rings against the glass when they are copying which chips the glass. In the case of firearms handling, it will "destroy" the finish on both hand guns and long guns.
Old November 24, 2004, 08:28 PM   #6
jrfoxx

Navy

I'm in the U.S. Navy as an Avionics Technician (repair aircraft electronics) and NO jewelry of any sort is allowed in my shop at any time, as it is a serious hazard. recently had a guy weld a wrench to his wedding ring (and flesh) due to a shock. pretty scary looking. the sent the wrench/ring/skin combo around to all the shops to get the point across. Needless to say, i dont wear any jewelry on working days whether i'm at work or not. only on weekends.... also, got a watch that is 100% synthetic on the outside, so it can still be worn without shock hazzard.
Old November 24, 2004, 08:46 PM   #7
Texian Pistolero

Many decades ago,

I had an uncle jump off a tractor (on a farm out in West Texas),

his wedding ring caught of something,

and gravity took the finger off.

I wear no jewelry,

and no watch.

I have a watch in my pocket to tell me the time.
Old November 24, 2004, 11:25 PM   #8
Fen

Not married, never wear jewlery. Occasionally I wear a velcro banded timex. I don't like things hanging off of me. My mom used to get mad at my dad when he would leave his ring on the counter to go work in the garage. She stopped complaining when he knocked a diamond out while wrenching on the car.
Old November 25, 2004, 01:44 AM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I ditched wearing earrings years ago when I quit modelling. I don't even wear a watch these days.
Old November 25, 2004, 02:59 AM   #10
Dusty Miller

Uh, what the hell does this thread have to do with any part of firearms usage?
Old November 25, 2004, 08:08 AM   #11
pbass

My favorite ring hangs on the edge of my front jeans pocket when going for my PM9. I don't wear it any more.
Old November 25, 2004, 10:01 AM   #12
Gewehr98

USAF aircrew, Air Combat Command.

No exposed rings or jewelry. And dogtags cannot be hanging from my neck - evidently somebody got hurt by them dangling into a piece of equipment, so now my dogtags ride in my sleeve pocket once we start the crew briefing.

Neural Misfires
Old November 25, 2004, 10:15 AM   #13
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rings can sure bugger the finish on the frontstrap of your gun.
Old November 25, 2004, 04:48 PM   #14
fastbolt

Hmmmm ... depends.

I won't commonly wear any rings while working. Too many instances of having rings catch on things in earlier years, fortunately without disastrous results. Also, I've listened to too many other experiences from folks I know who had their own problems, some of which were bad.

Rings can cause me problems when handling handguns, knives, & swords ... and rifles/shotguns sometimes ... so I decided not to risk exposing myself to potential problems over which I have some control.

Now, there are a couple of rubber-gripped pistols and little revolvers I carry which aren't affected by my wearing a ring on my shooting hand, and if I really feel the "need" to wear a ring, I'll consider wearing one while carrying one of them. I fully realize it may still interfere with other manual tasks, though, including the smooth employment of some blades.

I don't wear a watch ... (prefer pocket watches) ... but I'll sometimes wear a bracelet. Hey, I don't have to jump out of fixed/rotor-winged aircraft, I don't have to rappel, zip or fast-rope, and I don't have to operate heavy machinery. I'll be careful what I wear when riding one of my motorcycles, though ...

I've also experienced problems reaching for a speedloader or speedstrip in a pocket when a ring caught on a pant's pocket edge, depending on the ring, but not when carried in a jacket pocket.

Risk assessment issues.
Old November 26, 2004, 03:52 AM   #15
LAK

I did hear of an aircraft mechanic or the like slipping off the fuselage of a big bird and losing a finger to a wedding ring and a rivet or something like that.

A friend of mine was helping me put a motocycle back together; we were sat either side with the tank/seat/tail off exposing the battery. I heard a crackle or something (and I guess he heard it too), then I noticed his eyes widen. Suddenly he was up and struggling madly like Dr. Strangelove with his watch. He broke the band or one of the pins to get it off; the safety clasp of the metal band was welded shut. It burned the underside of his wrist quite badly too.
Old November 26, 2004, 09:53 AM   #16
Mannlicher

I wear what I want to, when it is appropriate. That's not so difficult now, is it?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 26, 2004, 10:15 AM   #17
SnWnMe

Back in my blue shirt worker bee days I didn't wear rings onboard ship for safety reasons (one look at that "stripped" ring finger on our safety bulletins and eeeek!).

Now I wear my w-band everyday. That's because I don't do any manual labor anymore except maybe lifting my coffee cup

I don't wear a ring on my strong hand because like Tams said, it mars the frontstrap. In addition, I could not get a proper firing grip and the ring digs when I shoot big bores.

The two things I never take off are a bracelet Mom gave me, and my pimp daddy necklace. It's thick so it won't break if it catches on something. It will take my head off first.
Old November 26, 2004, 08:19 PM   #18
Shawn Dodson

I reckon I'm missing a gene that compels me to adorn myself with shiny metal stuff because I wear absolutely no jewelry of any kind, not even a wedding band or wristwatch. I've no interest in jewelry whatsoever.

I've been damned with poor eyesight and wear wire frame spectacles. If I had it my way I'd ditch 'em too.
Old December 2, 2004, 06:08 AM   #19
Hal

Quote:
One of the oldest popular ideas for "Safe gun technology" (what's nowdays called "Smart Gun") is a ring activated gizmo.

Somewhere in the dank areas of the basement I have an old gun rag from ,,sheesh must be 30 years ago,, that shows a contraption activated/deactivated by a magnetic ring worn on the finger. Lots of the reasons listed in this thread about the dangers of wearing jewlery nixed the idea back then.
Old December 2, 2004, 10:07 AM   #20
Machinist

1rst Post

I guess I am a nut then cause I wear my wedding band, a watch, and earrings
on the job. I don't like anything other that a knife or change in my pocket hence I wear a watch. If I take my wedding band off I will either lose it or forget about it. I know, I know, I am a machinist and I should know better.
Old December 2, 2004, 11:23 AM   #21
mgdavis

I generaly wear a watch, occasionally a class ring. When I go into the shop, all jewlery comes off. The rest of the time I don't worry about it.
Old December 2, 2004, 11:25 AM   #22
sm

In a former life lets just say I was " familar" with Jlry.

Personally all I cared for was a nice watch, I spent time outdoors and considered a watch a "tool" , just like a firearm, a compass, matches...Other than that - I could care less.

Nature of the business was to promote this Adorning , sentimental value and such.

I used a lot of hand tools, worked around machinery, on my own time I was busy - busy where Jrly could be a problem. Table saws, power saws, ladders, electrical wiring...

Firearms: Many folks carry concealed because one never knows what is going to happen. Along with the Awareness Part of CCW -we were taught to NOT look like Prey.

Folks, flaunted, bragged, left Jlry out for folks to see, and you would not believe what else. Totally surprised when held up , car-jacked, Broken into.

Snatch and grab purses ...well them heavy necklaces when snatched and grabbed can cut one really deep - nasty deep, cartoid artery deep.
I saw the results more than once - and the first was a Male not a female victim.

Watches- well some folks like to wear them really loose to show off,
Braclets - some by design are worn loose.

So I have observed MEN and women that the abilty to draw a firearm was hindered . Folks think it is only women. NOPE. Observed a young Sheriff Deputy that his loose braclet got all hung up and could not draw and fire - Tueller drill mind you. Same Deputy wore his watch really loose - Forget the BUG - again he hung up on another drill. Deputy has a Huge Class ring, he couldn't get a proper grip on a Glock - I would bet this ring would prevent getting the safety off say a 1911 style.

Big time bruise when Same Deputy tried shooting Buckshot...trigger guard under recoil whacked him but good. After a bit ( grumbling at me) he took off his Jlry . I also showed him how that heavy necklace could work against him in a up close and personal.

He went to protect his neck, I disarmed him ( training gun) . Just a natural reaction to protect his neck.

My last good watch had a metal band, I lost it helping someone in the rain with car trouble. My other good watch has a leather strap It sits in a safe, it was the last time I checked anyway.

I don't wear a watch most of the time. Sometimes I need one at College, I don't have a cell phone, and not always around a computer,or room with a clock. Out fishing or hunting I take one. My LLBean Field watch with leather strap is NOT attractive to BGs, and my long sleeves keep it covered anyway.

I look at matters from the perspective - Don't look like Prey. I think about Safety , be it around tools, or the ability to access my CCW if need.

One reason I hate ties so much...
Old December 2, 2004, 02:05 PM   #23
Bob Freddy

A very good friend of mine lost his wedding ring finger just hopping out of the back off a pickup truck at work. It ripped the skin right off the bone. They told him at the ER that with the way the skin tore off it was very unlikely that they could reattach it. They also said that if they did try he risked gang green and such and might lose his whole hand

The real kicker was that the night before he told his wife he was going to stop wearing his ring at work because it was getting scratched up. His wife stated that they would be getting a divorce if he didn't wear the ring to work. So the very next day he ends up losing the finger in the begining of the day.

After a few surgeries his hand is doing excellent and you can hardly notice the accident at all.

BOB
Old December 2, 2004, 02:53 PM   #24
Any .45

I wear two rings and a two tone citizen everyday of my life, I'm an electronic technician and deal with high voltages all day, gold is a very very good conductor and I fail to realize what would happen if i grounded my self out with my jewelery, but hard headed people learn the hard way I guess. although sometimes I take it of if my hands are going into tight places, or if I'm going to be using tools that require all of my power but it's not for me it's so I won't damage the jewelery. like I said hard headed one day I'll learn.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old December 2, 2004, 05:18 PM   #25
Barry in IN

The "watch pocket" on the right front of jeans is used for ring storage during work hours by my co-workers and I.

I grew up on a farm, and stories of fingers lost due to rings were common.

One guy I know had his on, jumped out of a wagon by putting his hand on the wooden sideboard and springing over. The ring caught on a splinter or something, and his finger stayed behind.

I became an aircraft mechanic, and often worked around moving machinery. Besides the risk of yanking a finger off, we have to be careful of electrical current. Wearing a metal ring or watch may provide a good enough current path.
I've seen enough safety films, and heard enough stories of "welded" rings and watches to scare me.
Besides our safety, we have to watch for Electrostatric Discharge, or ESD, damaging the airplane. In some cases, if you don't ground yourself to the plane with a wriststrap, your contact will cause an ESD and fry some of the more delicate "black boxes". The charges that can do this are tiny- millivolts and milliamps.

Despite this, some guys still wore jewelry. In 1988 or 89, one of my co-workers jumped out of a 747 cargo door. Just like the farm wagon incident, the ring caught and he traveled on. He did not completely lose his finger, but it was pretty mangled.

Regarding self-defense, an obvious negative is that jewelry draws theives. I got interested in watches a few years ago, as it seems a lot of gun people do. Must be a fascination with mechanisms.
Anyway, I started noticing that many Rolex watches had stretched bracelets (bands). The watch itself appeared well taken care of, but the band would look like it was used to pull cars out of the ditch.
I learned that this condition is often the result of theft attempts. The theif grabs the watch and runs, maybe twisting it also. If the band breaks- good for him. If the owner is getting hurt, maybe he'll fork it over. If it holds, and the owner won't give it up, then move on.

I suppose a watch can also provide a "handle" of sorts for immobilizing an arm, or doing takedowns.