The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 5, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
new_camper

Used scope questions

I have been toying with putting a 2x scope on a ruger mkIII. Since I am not 100% sure I will like it, I don't want to sink money on a piece of junk, and I also don't want to pay for new leupold for testing the waters purposes. This leads me to consider finding a used scope, but I don't know where to look. Also how do you determine the price on used optics. I would be looking for a used Leupold 2x pistol scope.
Old June 6, 2013, 06:55 AM   #2
geetarman

Since you are not looking for a lot of magnification, I would suggest you look at a red dot scope. Maybe like a TRS-25. Those kinds of scopes are really easy to use and trouble free.

I put one on a friends Buckmark and she is happy as a clam with it. My son and I have essentially the same thing from Sig/Sauer on our Buckmarks.

I took the plastic rear sight base off the gun and mounted a Tactical Solutions aluminum base with the integrated rear sight. Have the gun sighted in for both irons and the red dot.

It is a nice option for the gun.

HTH

Carpe Cerveza
Old June 6, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Like anything used you take a chance when you buy it.
I won competitions with a $3.00 garage sale special on my 30-06 and have taken deer with it.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
jmr40

I don't see a lot of used handgun scopes floating around. Lots of rifle scopes. On a Leupold, or other better brand expect to pay 50-75% of what an indentical new version sells for. It depends on condition. On most other "budget" scopes, no more than 50%. Much less if they are a little rough.

I sometimes find them at gunshow and pawnshops. I've found a used scope on a gun that I liked and had the gunshop owner take it off and just sell the scope at times.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5
big al hunter

Pawn shops, gun shows, and craigslist.com are the places I usually see good deals on used scopes.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:24 AM   #6
bamaranger

another

Hey, ebay is a good place to shop for used Leupolds. I've gotten several at VG prices. Just don't get caught up in the bid process. Eventually you get one right. Often a blemished scope, entirely usable, goes cheap.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Rob62

Common sense is the order of the day when looking to purchase a used scope.

In no certain order:

- Look at the overall outside condition, check to see if there are dents in the scope tube or bell ends. If it looks like its had a hard life it probably has. Normal signs of use would be light ring marks and some minor scuff marks.

- Look through the scope from *BOTH* ends. Check the glass/lenses for cracks, chips, scratches, etc. Look carefully at the inside of the tube and bells. If there is any sign of moisture - pass on it. Look to see if the crosshairs are bent, broken and or damaged in any other way.

- Take off the turret caps and turn both the Windage and Elevation adjustment knobs in both directions. Make sure they turn freely and "click" if they are supposed to.

- Turn any magnification adjustment wheel and look to see if it turns freely and if the magnification actually increases or decreases. (A fixed power scope will obviously not have this feature)

- Inexpensive scopes such as Simmons, BSA, etc will have a significant reduction of value from new. Its not uncommon to find these scopes selling at about $40-60% of low end new prices.

- Better name brand scopes such as Burris, Leupold, Nikon, etc will generally sell used if in good or better condition for about 75-85% of low end new prices. Keep in mind that brands such as Leupold offer a lifetime warrantee even if you are not the original owner.

With all that said. I own several Ruger MK II's. The ones that have optics on them have Red Dot's - Bushnell Trophy's mainly with an odd Tasco thrown in the mix.

Regards,

Rob
Old June 15, 2013, 09:20 AM   #8
g.willikers

Since it's going on a .22, how about one of the lower priced ones, from a major manufacturer.
A new one, that is.
It will have a factory warrantee, and won't cost much more than something used.
Check them out at places like opticsplanet or one of the big suppliers.
My Tasco only cost $80 and works just fine.