The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 30, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
xtr

Safe question

I need to purchase a safe of some sort in the near future. My dad is a Cop, so he is very anal about keeping guns as secure as possible. I am on a limited budget. Do I need a safe like this? Or will a cabinet like in the second link suffice? Either of them would be in my basement and bolted to floor and wall. If I need a safe, is that 250.00 one from dicks probably my cheapest option? I am a newbie so I dont know a lot about my options. Obviously a safe would be better, but as far as cost what is the best compromise while still being as burglar proof as possible.

Safe:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3378976

Cabinet:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3377107
Old April 30, 2009, 12:12 PM   #2
MrNiceGuy

safe ?

Spend the money on the safe , if you are lucky you will never need it and it will
be overkill . But if you ever have a problem , it will be a lot more expensive to replace the stolen guns than it would for the extra bucks for the safe. I have both and I keep my "quality challenged " items in the closet in the hopes that any would meth head or the like will be satisfied with what he finds in the closet and will leave the much tougher safe alone.
Old April 30, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3
comn-cents

The safe is definitely a better choice. the cabinet is pretty flimsy. If you check out the cabinet you can flex the door when it's open, I think that a few good whacks with a sledge will weaken it.

But for a least something it works. The cabinet will serve as an ammo lock-up after you get a good safe.

Just put the cabinet some where out of site, like a closet.

Hope this helps.
Old April 30, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
CK_32

True that^^

Maybe for amo.
but not guns.. unless you are really
willing to take that chance..
Old May 1, 2009, 03:33 PM   #5
xtr

Yeah. I will pay the extra money and get the safe. Even if I can't afford the best safe, it will still be better than the cabinet.