The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2006, 01:30 PM   #1
temptah

Cycling speed for my Benelli M2

Hi all,
Just took my new M2 Tactical out for it's first shot a couple weekends ago, and I snapped this shot of my dad purely on accident:

http://toric.loungenet.org/~doug/pic...6/DSCN3972.JPG

Notice how far the ejected shell has moved after the shot's been fired, and the bolt is nearly closed again.

Now for the discussion point: It seems to me that that's a darn fast cycle. When people talk about pumps being faster with an experience shooter, are they talking about old and 'slower' autoloaders, or can they be faster than the newfangled stuff like this Benelli? I can't seem to find real time measurements per shot for this, but I do know the gun was able to easily cycle as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Does anyone know how the speed of the gas-driven M4s compare do the inertia-driven family, and how they compare to the master pumpers?
Old February 25, 2006, 07:10 PM   #2
mete

There is a bit of a contest going on . In any case the autos are faster than the pumps ! The Benelli used to be the fastest auto [numbers available somewhere] then Winchester was supposed to become #1 now I,m not sure .
Old February 25, 2006, 10:23 PM   #3
BUCKMARK

Almost any autoloader can cycle faster than the human brain can pick up the next target and get on that target.

I have read about, and saw guys on tv that can shoot plates faster than the gun will cycle... but that was steel plates in line and close together.

Waterfowl, game birds, home intruders, deer, bear, elk and enemy soldiers very seldon stand or fly in line and 2 feet apart.

My 1100's, Beretta Pintail, Gold, and Super X2 are all faster than me.

Let's Roll!
Old February 26, 2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I had a friend who was pure D deadly with his A-5. All else equal, I could get off a second, effective shot faster with an 870 then he could.

In any case, action speed is not so critical as expertise in getting off followups.

Get good with what you have and speed will show up on its own.
Old March 1, 2006, 08:27 PM   #5
harrydog

The Winchester X2 supposedly cycles 1 hundredth of a second faster than the Benelli - 13 hundredths of a second vs. 12 hundredths of a second.
I suppose that matters to some people but for most of us it won't.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...tail.asp?ID=72
Old March 2, 2006, 12:09 PM   #6
orangeTJ

picture

Wow...cool picture! Dang it, now I want one of those things too!!!! How do you like it so far? Do those have interchangeable chokes?
Old March 4, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Slimjim

I cant remember were i read it, but i believe that the m1 super 90 cycling speed, if it was full auto, would have been slightly faster, or on par with the m60.
Old March 4, 2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Bonstrosity

The benelli's cycle pretty fast. See if you can find that video on the site w/ the guy shooting 10 clays that were tossed up at once...It's pretty amazing.
Old March 4, 2006, 01:38 PM   #9
ethernectar

I have one too, pretty happy with it. I bought a longer barrel for it for skeet too, which kind of makes it like 2 guns in 1. It cycles faster than I can pull the trigger and stay on target.

How do you like that pistol grip? I went for the standard grip.
Old March 4, 2006, 07:57 PM   #10
expeditionx

How fast would you say this one cycles 8 rounds?
http://www.toiminta-ampujat.net/pict...J_saiga_02.mpg

I cant wait to get a ten round magazine.

I stop watched it 3 times. 1.0 seconds divided by 8 rounds = .125 seconds per cycle average.
I assume my finger motor responce on the stop watch might have taken near .1 seconds so it mighht cycle a little faster than .125 seconds.
Old March 4, 2006, 08:27 PM   #11
expeditionx

Winchester X2 supposedly cycles 1 hundredth of a second faster than the Benelli - 13 hundredths of a second vs. 12 hundredths of a second
At .125 it is already faster than a Benelli M2 which is .13 seconds.

That shooter wasnt Tom Knapp or some big name. So I suppose a pro could even shoot it faster.
Old March 4, 2006, 08:44 PM   #12
johnbt

How about Patrick Flanigan's new world record of 11 hand thrown clays with 11 shots? He used an SX-2.

www.patrickflanigan.com