The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 25, 2013, 05:35 PM   #51
vranasaurus

I would support more rigorous qualifications for voters before I would support mandatory firearms education.

A bunch of idiots with votes are far more dangerous to me than a bunch of idiots with guns.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:52 PM   #52
OEF-Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranasaurus View Post
I would support more rigorous qualifications for voters before I would support mandatory firearms education.

A bunch of idiots with votes are far more dangerous to me than a bunch of idiots with guns.
Well said.

The last thing we need is to make it mandatory for schools to teach future gang bangers how to properly hold a weapon and hit a target. Keep in mind not every kid in school is going to grow up to be a good law abiding citizen.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:32 PM   #53
North East Redneck

I do not, nor would I ever, support any law that stands in the way of citizens RIGHT to own any weapons. The RIGHT to protect yourself from any force brought against you is not up for debate or to be restricted by any law.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:36 PM   #54
RubiDing

No, but I take all the training I can get.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:19 PM   #55
Kevin Rohrer

Wouldn't it be great if firearms training was a required course in both high school and college?

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 26, 2013, 12:54 AM   #56
hermannr

Government mandated , one size fits all, anything does not fit in my definition of Freedom.

I would like to see firearms safety training start in grade school, and taught by certified firearms instructors, but not as something mandatatory for graduation.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:22 AM   #57
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The last thing we need is to make it mandatory for schools to teach future gang bangers how to properly hold a weapon and hit a target. Keep in mind not every kid in school is going to grow up to be a good law abiding citizen.
They would actually have to go to school. Of course if they were felons already AND going to school they would be exempt from the class.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:28 AM   #58
horatioo

Quote:
Government mandated , one size fits all, anything does not fit in my definition of Freedom.

I would like to see firearms safety training start in grade school, and taught by certified firearms instructors, but not as something mandatatory for graduation.
I agree 100%. why do so many gun owners want to jettison other freedoms in order to appease anti gun people? The NRA blames the first amendment right of free speech, others here want to mandate the federal govt get more involved in local school issues.

I dont get it. Protect all freedoms not just the right to own a gun.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:29 PM   #59
Tinner666

Quote:
It depends on how and what is implemented. I, personally, think that a basic firearms safety course, such as what is taught in a hunter's safety course, would be a good thing to incorporate into the curriculum of public high schools. While I'm sure that many anti's would tear their hair out over their children being taught about guns, that argument doesn't carry much weight with me since we've already incorporated other controversial subjects such as Darwinism and sex education into school curricula.
THe NRA used to teach saftey courses in elementry school. Along with safety classes on dynamite and blasting caps.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:25 PM   #60
johnwilliamson062

I passed my 18th birthday without much in the way of knowledge on how to operate two tools. One, a firearm, the other a chainsaw.

I would have preferred formal education on the chainsaw over the firearm. Hell of a lot more dangerous IMO.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:22 PM   #61
Fishing_Cabin

I would not support mandatory firearm education in any way. I dont want the anti's to push their views on me, and I dont push my views on others...

That said, perhaps a firearm safety and hunters education course could be more available in every high school with a specific opt-out for those who were not interested, or were against firearms. Thats how it was when I was in school, which was some years ago.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:26 PM   #62
shootniron

No.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:54 PM   #63
DarrinD2

Generally, I would support it. Seen too many dangerous new gun owners endanger other shooters at the range with unsafe gun handling, not to mention LEO's early in their POST training.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:55 PM   #64
Mausermolt

Ok I see everyones point in: (no it's my right, no regs) but none of our freedoms are absolute to begin with. Just like the 1st amendment you cannot yell fire in a crowded theatre because people could get hurt. The same should apply to the second. I repeal my opinion of mandatory for ownership. Now you can argue a chainsaw or a lawnmower or a car or a pointy stick is more dangerous than a gun, but that argument has no end and leads to no constructive outcome. I agree with the notion o having firearm SAFTEY mandatory in school. That meaning the basic safety of how to properly handle a firearm. I'm not talking about a self defense class. Just the basics on how guns operate and how not to kill little jimmy down the street.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:25 PM   #65
speedrrracer

I don't support it, but like it or not, it's probably completely constitutional.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:10 AM   #66
BGutzman

I don't support infringing my rights.... I don't support infringing your rights. We have way to many gun laws to begin with. When you figure how to outlaw evil then we have a place to start.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:15 AM   #67
Closing The Gap

Absolutely not. I do promote it but would never think of forcing it on anyone. This is why we have rights, to not be told what to do, by those who think they know better.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:29 PM   #68
adamc

How would THAT be done ? ( IMO it would be a great public service)
Mandatory Firearms education ? in what school, grades, etc ?
Public or private schools ?

In my neck of the woods the education platform is a hornets nest of Libs and bleeding hearts (that was before Sandy Hook)

Some states teaching "Science" is outlawed and under fire..

thus it will NEVER happen.. it will be easier just to ban the guns
Old January 29, 2013, 03:08 PM   #69
dayman

If it were implemented correctly I would.
If they added like a $2-5 tax to gun purchases to fund it so it wouldn't cost people directly, made sure that classes were widely available, and limited it to a couple sessions of a reasonable length.

That being said, I very much doubt that there will ever be any actual proposed legislation on the topic that I would agree with. By the time you turn it into a 40 page legal document written by a committee of blowhards and lawyers, even a good idea turns bad.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:12 PM   #70
BigD_in_FL

Start it in kindergarten, that way the video game influences about just blasting everything and hitting the reset button have less impact on the mentally vulnerable
Old January 29, 2013, 04:08 PM   #71
Kimio

While I strongly advocate that any firearms owner should seek and learn about the proper handeling of a firearm, I cannot endorse forcing it upon them.

Ultimately, the way I look at it is that an irresponsible individual is going to be irresponsible regardless of the what he or she has been taught. There is no gurantee that forcing firearms education upon the masses will reduce tragedies.

Someone who respects the firearm and is willing to spend just ten minutes on YouTube will have already done so as it is. It's like telling your child something is wrong and they shouldn't do something, but in the end, it's their decision to carry out whatever that something is even if they know it's wrong.

Morality and self accountability is something you cannot legislate no matter how much you try or wish that you could.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:34 PM   #72
Panfisher

How about instead of a "mandatory" class it become something that is worth the persons time. For example you do not have to present a "certificate" to purchase a firearm, however if you do present said certificate you receive a $50 discount on the cost of the firearm, or maybe a $50 gift card, of course it could only be used on new gun sales and the $$ would have to come from somewhere, whether it be Pittman Robertson, NRA or the Manufacturer or a combination of them.

And if all kids learned safe gun handling from an early early age it would ruin the video game industry, hmm on second thought that just makes it better.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:02 PM   #73
lefteye

An elective public high school course with credit comparable to all other elective courses. Private schools should be encouraged to offer the same course, or their students should be allowed to attend the course in public schools.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:44 PM   #74
amathis

Quote:
Mausermold: Ok I see everyones point in: (no it's my right, no regs) but none of our freedoms are absolute to begin with. Just like the 1st amendment you cannot yell fire in a crowded theatre because people could get hurt. The same should apply to the second.
It already does apply. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater because the undue harm it would cause by the people rushing for the doors. This limits the first to allow you to only do things that do not harm other people.

The second is limited likewise. While we have the right to keep and bear arms, we do not have the right to use those weapons unjustly to bring harm to other people.

The right is NOT absolute. You can't keep and bear an arm to kill someone.

As far as mandatory training, No. It is a right. People should be strongly encouraged to get training and know how to use weapons safely but we can't put a mandatory clause on a right.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:20 PM   #75
vranasaurus

Do you really want a bunch of politicans that hate guns and don't handle them safely to impose a firearm safety requirement?

Everytime you see Feinstein touch a gun she violates 3 of the 4 rules. Yeah I want her in charge at the department of firearm safety.