The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 09:54 PM   #26
gunluver

9mm 1911's that I have first hand experience with.....

I own a 9mm STI Spartan full size. Zero issues or malfunctions. I use it as my IDPA gun, but don't carry it. Ceap pricetag (around $625), but only a parkerized finish and built in the Philippines by Amscor for STI. I honestly hate the way it looks, but love the way it shoots.....deadly accurate and never fails.

I own a 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian commander bobtail. Beautiful gun, fit and finish is superb. Lightweight and easy to carry, which I do sometimes. Very accurate, but is ammo sensitive. Chamber is so tight, I actually use the barrel as a guage for my reloads. The reloads that don't fit in the Guardian barrel get used in the Spartan. Price around $1500

I also own a 9mm STI Guardian CCO. This one is an officer size frame with a commander slide. Easiest of the 3 to conceal carry....which I bought it for and will carry most of the time once its proven itself. Only one range trip so far, plan on really running it hard tomorrow. Very well put together and tight, but finish is slightly lacking to the Dan Wesson. (not a big deal, I bought it to carry) Price around $1025

I have 2 good friends and shooting buddies that each have a 9mm 1911. One is a Springfield loaded full size. One trip back to Springfield when new to fix extractor issue, been 100% perfect since then. The other is a STI Off Duty, which is a 3" barrel officer model. My buddy has just crested 1000 rounds with it with zero issues.

I would seriously give STI a hard look if you consider a 1911 in 9mm. They build a great product at a reasonable price and have a lot of different models to choose from. 3", 4", 5", and 6" brrels, steel and aluminum frames...lots of options.
Dan Wesson also makes a superb product at a reasonale price, although they only offer 2 models in 9mm. (actually 3, but good luck finding one of their new ECO models)

I'm quite sure there are plenty of other quality 9mm 1911's out there, these are just the ones I have personal experience with.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:54 PM   #27
FYN409

WVsig
Primarily looking for IWB carry. Have a 380 I use for pocket carry.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:02 PM   #28
WVsig

I love the CW9 for that role. Small enough to dissapear under a t- shirt in a good holster and large enough to be controllable and accurate. They are also priced right!
Old September 21, 2012, 10:04 PM   #29
KyJim

WVSig--

Once again I must compliment your taste in guns. Here is my CM9 which I carry both in a pocket holster and an IWB holster. Kahrs have very nice triggers.

And my 3913 is an excellent carry pistol though I don't carry it much anymore; don't want to get confused with it's backwards safety (down for safe, up for fire):

Old September 21, 2012, 10:18 PM   #30
Schnitzjr

Put the Bersa BP9CC on your radar.
It's the same size as the shield and has a sweet trigger.
It shoots really nice. A google search will reveal some light strike issues that are solved with a 90 second striker channel cleaning and 124 g ammo. Mine has been stone reliable past 500 rounds.
$350 delivered.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #31
claydoctor

I second the recommendation for an S&W 3913/4013. I have a bunch of pistols and this is one of my favorites. No longer made but can be found regularly on Gunbroker. S&W has discontinued a bunch of good pistols.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:36 AM   #32
johnnydollar

I like the HK P7. Compact, flat, thin, super reliable and very accurate.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:19 AM   #33
stevekolt

Among our other hand guns we have 2 single stack 9's

Mine is a Kahr PM9 - got it new from the factory through their NRA Instructors Program, so the price was a couple hundred less than from the LGS.

My wife's current carry is a Walther PPS, she really likes this one and shoots it well.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:30 AM   #34
Hutch11

There are quite a few good small CC single stack nines to choose, however I vote for a Kahr CM9. It fires all ammo from FMJ to HP to Glaser safety rounds. Accuracy is very good to 30 ft and the trigger pull, although long is not bad
Old September 22, 2012, 08:40 AM   #35
Sgt.207

Though heavier than the newer polymer pistols, take a look at the Smith & Wesson 3913. In my opinion, the best, most reliable single stack nine ever made to date.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:57 AM   #36
Dashunde

Kahr PM9 (and now CM9)
Fantastic pistol in every way.
Its been out for over 10 years and its still the best available in its size.

Now with the CM9 under $400.. its a no brainer to at least give it a try.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:12 PM   #37
orionengnr

I think I know what you mean. At one point, I thought that the main reason to own a 9mm was round count. These days, I think the best reason to own a 9mm is to own a small carry pistol with a decent cartridge.

After owning a bunch of 9mm pistols, the only one I own currently is the PM9 that has been with me for about six years. These days you can get a CM9, which is 90% of the gun for 60% of the price.

If I had more money than I knew what do do with, I would buy another P7M13.
If I had unlimited patience, I would buy another EMP.

I have neither. But I do have my PM9, which isn't going anywhere.
Old September 22, 2012, 11:01 PM   #38
ScotchMan

My favorite is the Walther PPS. I got one for the same reason as the OP (I even had an SR9c at the time). I have no complaints about it, but eventually replaced the SR9c with the aforementioned HK P2000sk, and found it concealed even better than the PPS. It is a thicker gun, but the edges are more rounded, and I find myself never carrying the PPS anymore.

I think with a PPS or Shield you will be good to go, but I'd consider other 10 round double stacks, as well as a better holster/belt setup, depending on what the issue with the SR9c is.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 25, 2012, 10:23 PM   #39
pete2

I've had an LC9 for 6 or 8 months, I've run approx 300 rounds thru it without a hiccup. I trust it enough to carry it, I shoot it better than my 642. I've read on the forums where people have had trouble with them but my is 100%. A friend of mine has one, also 100% so far.
Old September 25, 2012, 10:28 PM   #40
meanmachine1961

Highly reccomend the Shield.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:11 PM   #41
group17

kahr CM9 and a walther PPS
Old September 27, 2012, 08:11 PM   #42
AdamSean

I have the Beretta Nano and I have never had any issues. It is surprisingly accurate and the recoil is rather mild. I would be taking a serious look at the one of the following:

-Beretta Nano
-Sig Sauer P290
-S&W Shield
Old September 27, 2012, 11:40 PM   #43
Venom1956

Quote:
Kahr PM9 CM9
Questions on those who have these. How do your the rails on your lower look? A friend and I looked at his CW9 and he decided to sell it due to the amount of wear on the poly from the slide cycling. Not quite sure how many rounds we put thru it... under 1k if I were to guess. Didn't take pics sadly.

Loved the gun and i prefer the metal kahrs just the poly wear concerned me. Other then that its a fantastic gun.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 28, 2012, 12:19 AM   #44
vyse.04

Quote:
Questions on those who have these. How do your the rails on your lower look? A friend and I looked at his CW9 and he decided to sell it due to the amount of wear on the poly from the slide cycling. Not quite sure how many rounds we put thru it... under 1k if I were to guess. Didn't take pics sadly.
The slide rides on metal rails inside of the frame. I don't have a CW/PM9, but I do have a CW45... rails are fine.

I also have a K9, and it has fired every time. I would try a Kahr before buying something though. I love the trigger for a DAO, and they are very slim for the calibers.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:15 PM   #45
hulley

I have a CW9 and its been perfect for around 1k rounds. No wear on the rails like was mention above. I carry it in a Remora IWB or a Crossbreed Snapside OWB. I literaly hardly notice it there when I carry OWB, so light and thin.

Would love to have an EMP 9, what a beauty!
Old September 28, 2012, 02:23 PM   #46
Cheapshooter

I'm very happy with my KAHR CM9. If you want to go top shelf in the KAHR 9MM pocket pistols you can spend more $ to move up to the PM9. Essentially the same gun with the addition of polygonal rifling, and a dove tail mounted front sight.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 28, 2012, 02:45 PM   #47
mySig229

Taurus Slim line. With or without crimson trace laser guard?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1348861483686.jpg (31.0 KB, 19 views)
Old September 28, 2012, 05:41 PM   #48
Venom1956

Quote:
The slide rides on metal rails inside of the frame. I don't have a CW/PM9, but I do have a CW45... rails are fine.
I'm pretty positive my CW9 and the PM9 lack any metal rails on the lower... CW45 could be an exception.

I really do enjoy kahrs for i have small hands.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 28, 2012, 06:32 PM   #49
comn-cents

I've never heard of anyone wearing out the rails on a Kahr. I have two p series with plenty of rounds through them without a problem.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:15 PM   #50
smokehouse4444

For a pocket size carry, definitely the Kahr PM/CM9. I have not had one failure since I've owned it. Smooth as silk. For something a little bit larger, but still very compact, the SIG P239 is phenomenal. That grip just melts in your hand.

Tags
9mm , conceal carry , single stack