The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2002, 09:35 PM   #1
charleym3

45 ACP Very Very light load

I'm looking for load recommendations for a 45ACP revolver. I need for the load to just make 130 PF. Yes I'm looking for a gamers load for SSR division.
A 230 grain at 600 fps will make 138PF. Close enough.
I think that I'm going to need a bulky pistol powder on the slow end for pistols.

Suggestions?
Old September 8, 2002, 11:53 PM   #2
VTR996

In the February 2002 issue of G&A they show a 250lrn w/6.3 gr of AA#7 for 500 fps out of a semi-auto...a hair shy but maybe a start.
Old September 9, 2002, 08:46 AM   #3
Jim Watson

A light load with a bulky slow burning powder will leave unburnt granules behind to get under your extractor and bind up cylinder rotation. I recommend something fast and clean. I use 700X but not in such a light load and can't say how will it would work. Clays, Vihtavouri 310 or even Bullseye (not as clean as some of the newer powders, but FLG uses it because he says the residue is light and ashy, not gritty) might do. Around three grains. If you are using jacketed or plated bullets, work down very carefully to avoid a stuck bullet. Cast would blow out better with very light loads.
Old September 9, 2002, 01:45 PM   #4
Norm Lee

Gamer's load

Hey Charleym:

For shooting steel, I liked a 200 gr SWC pushed by 3.9 gr. of V V N310. You might be able to go a little bit lighter but probably won't need to. This load is both light and very accurate.

Cheers,

Norm

Last edited by Norm Lee; September 10, 2002 at 08:43 AM.
Old September 9, 2002, 03:47 PM   #5
Pampers

PF 140

200 gr. SWC over 4 gr. AA#2
NRA Golden Eagle
Old September 9, 2002, 03:56 PM   #6
charleym3

Thanks for all the input. This load is going into a wheel gun so I'm leaning toward round nose bullets. I've experimented with AA#2 in the past, including the new forumula, and it's pretty dirty. I have a good supply of VV320. It's only a little slower than VV310. I think that I'll start with the minumum load of 320 and work down from there.
Old September 9, 2002, 11:18 PM   #7
taco

Sorry but I don't know what "SSR" is but I assume it is some kind of match. Does it require high speed reloading? If not, why don't you load light bullets and moderate speed for minimal recoil?

I have a 45ACP load consisting of 155gr SWC cast bullets at 875fps using bullseye powder which has very light recoil. With 12 pound recoil spring it will cycle my Kimber and SA 1911. Accuracy is good out to about 20 yards but goes to hell at 50.
Old September 10, 2002, 05:52 AM   #8
Tree Rat

GET THE CLAYS.........Bulky, soft shooting, and clean even at start charges.

TR
Old September 10, 2002, 08:48 AM   #9
Norm Lee

Gamer's load

Hey Charleym:

If you want to use N320, try 4.8 gr. or a little less. Worked pretty well for pushing the 200 SWC. Works OK for RN too. It won't be quite as light as the 310 load but there's not a huge difference.

Cheers,

Norm
Old September 10, 2002, 09:52 AM   #10
charleym3

Quote:
Sorry but I don't know what "SSR" is but I assume it is some kind of match. Does it require high speed reloading? If not, why don't you load light bullets and moderate speed for minimal recoil?
SSR is a Stock Service Revolver. A classification in IDPA. Minimum power factor is 125 (Bullet weight * Velocity / 1000), so a 200 grain bullet must exit the bore at 625 fps. A 155 grain bullet must start at 806 fps. I want to use round nose bullets because reloading is often necessary.

Once again, thanks for all the information.
Old September 10, 2002, 12:23 PM   #11
john kilgore

There are two powders and one bullet I would recommend. Use a 200gr SWC, the Hensley & Gibbs pattern has worked best for Me. Use either- Clays, start with 3.7 and work up till you get the velocity floor your'e looking for- about 650fps=130 so, 685 to 700 is what you want. With bullseye, start with 3.6 and work up to 4.0. With my moulds (Lee 200gr SWC) I find that 3.6 gives about 685fps from my 5" Springfield Armory match gun, but accruacy is best at 3.9 (what my measure throws). This should give you an accurate and economical load ( so you can practice/shoot a lot !).
Good Luck !!
Old September 10, 2002, 09:34 PM   #12
Northwest Cajun

4 Gr Bullseye and 200gr Berry's Round sholder plated bullets might do it. I've shot thousands without a jam in my series 80 when I was in a weekly match league. It was just enough to work the slide, you could actually watch the bullet go downrange with proper back lighting.
Cajun