The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2015, 07:29 PM   #1
zanemoseley

Any clearance issues with the Inline Utramount for LNL AP?

I am in the process of setting up a new Hornady LNL AP press on the Inline ultra mount. The mount is nice but I have a clearance issue between the ram and my bench when I push the handle forward as if I were seating a primer. The mount is not attached to the bench yet so when I push the handle forward it actually lifts the front of the mount off my bench almost 1/8". The picture below is with the press in the resting position. I contacted Dan from Inline and his first reaction was a bit surprised as I was, I'm still waiting for a follow up email. Anyone have any issues like this. I'd prefer to not have to shim it with washers as I was hoping for a very clean install, hence the $70 mount sold specifically for this press.

Old February 6, 2015, 12:09 AM   #2
Clark

Does AP stand for armour piercing?
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 6, 2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Vance

AP stands for Auto Progressive.

Are those legs symetrical? Or can they be turned around so the ram hangs over the edge of the table?
Old February 6, 2015, 01:42 PM   #4
higgite

Inline Fab's website says Ultramount raises press 9-5/8" off the bench top. What does yours measure from bench top to bottom of press?
Old February 6, 2015, 02:01 PM   #5
zanemoseley

I measured about 1/64" over 9 1/2". Dan got back with me again after he's had a chance to investigate. Turns out he has a production run where the sides were indexed a bit to far into the press which made the "feet" just a bit wider but this reduced the overall height of the stand which is why I have a clearance issue. He's sending me a improved output bracket which will raise the press by 1/8" and hopefully fix the issue. I guess this is the problem with getting tolerances this close.
Old February 6, 2015, 02:14 PM   #6
higgite

I believe the risers are universal and only the removable top plate is drilled for specific bolt patterns for different presses. My question would be if you ever intend to use that feature to swap presses on that same riser, would the second press also require an "improved" output bracket as opposed to a standard one?
Old February 6, 2015, 04:04 PM   #7
zanemoseley

No worries on my part, it will be dedicated to the LNL AP.