The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 23, 2013, 02:36 AM   #1
markm_04

Looking for a gun safe

My wife and I have decided that we ARE going to get a gun safe either before the end of the year or very soon afterwards. We are not getting anything for each other for Christmas and want to put that money towards a nice gun safe.

Does anyone have any recommendations on gun safes or have a preference about which one you have? I am looking for a 25-30 gun safe and want something with a good fire protection rating. I have been looking at and like the Cabela's Woodsman series.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Garycw

Looking for a gun safe

First off if your thinking about a safe for 25-30 guns.... Get one for 45-48 guns. There will be many things that end up in there besides guns & ammo. . It seems to me a lot of the "gun safes" are very similar no matter what brand until you get into the $5-7k range. The stack-on and similar brands are the least expensive options although they're not Fort Knox they give you pretty good protection for fire & theft and can't be moved easily. Especially when loaded .The locking systems are more secure that use a combination dial and key combo than the electronic keypads but also more expensive. Hiding the safe and placing against at least two block walls is also a good idea. Find a good reputable safe moving company and where you purchase may know some. Used safes may also be a option. We looked at a used jewelers safe once that was a John TANN with 32 cu. ft. Space was $30k new for $8k. However it was. 5 ton and would cost $1500 to move.
Old November 23, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
markm_04

Wow, not looking for anything that big or fancy, but that is a good thought about looking at used safes.

Yes, I know all kinds of other important things will end up in there and I suppose getting a bigger safe from the get-go is probably the smartest idea. Thank you for your insight, as we are looking to stay in the <$1500 range most likely.
Old November 23, 2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Garycw

Looking for a gun safe

Not sure if you have a rural king store near you but they Run sales around this time of year. There 48 gun stack in safes. Normally around $1000 with sale price around $700. They weigh around 700 lb
Old November 24, 2013, 10:01 PM   #5
markm_04

Never heard of a Royal King Store in this area of Missouri. I have heard that some stores such as Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty usually try to sell off most of their inventory of safes towards the end of the year so I am going to keep my eye on that. I want something with some shelving also for storing documents or ammunition and my secret cash stash from my wife, or whatever else might find its way in there.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:06 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

AMSEC has one of the best ratings as far as RSCs go. Contact your local locksmith who sells safes and find and find a used one from someone who upgraded. You will want one that does NOT have gypsum board in it (99% of them), but rather has a poured in place cement slurry adding weight and better fireproofing