The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2007, 10:15 PM   #1
lastchancebaby

Cartridge bullet component selection?

Hello,
I am a new reloader; indeed, I have not loaded a single round. I have studied and researched quite extensively. However, the following issues confound:
Loading for a Bushmaster heavy barrel 1:9 twist AR 15.
A. Will use Lupea brass
B. Varget powder
C. CCi primers
I need help identifying a bullet. I do not want lead in gas system or feed problems. Therefore, probably a cannelur bullet FMJBT or HPBT-55-68grain. Is there a good CMJ bullet to prevent leading in gas system? Also, I must have cannelur if autoloader; however, I worry about factory ammo, is it crimped good. I do not want the bullet to seat deeper and causer a pressure spike due to load density increase. Can someone educate me on bullets? This is my last step in research.
Thank you very much
Old November 16, 2007, 11:21 PM   #2
mc223

Lapua brass is a good choice. I use mostly Winchester or Lake city. Much cheaper and with proper load development, you may not see a decernable difference.

Varget works well with bullets on the heavier side, like 60g and above. Not to say it does not work well with some lighter bullets. .223 has a lot of good powder choices. Benchmark, H4895, 2230, and a few others will work well with the lighter stuff.

CCI primers work fine. Some powders like different primers for peak optimisation. I have used CCI BR-4, and CCI450 Magnum primers in various loads with good results.

Unless you are shooting cast bullets, leading the gas system ain't gonna happen.

One of the most forgiving bullets out there is the 69 SMK. will shoot good with a variety of components from a 1 in 9.
The 60g V-Max is another good shooter.

Don't get hung up on cannelure. With the exception of some factory ammo that was given to me, I have never used cannelured bullets. Properly sized cases will in general provide enough neck tension to hold a bullet firmly enough. If you feel you must crimp, use a taper crimp.

Some cheapo FMJ bullets shoot amazinly well, some don't. I've had some batches of sad looking military pulls that shot as good as some "Match" bullets. And some that made shotgun patterns.
Old November 17, 2007, 11:39 AM   #3
castnblast

You may want to look into a boat tail designed bullet. They are so much easier to load, not to mention they have much better ballistic coefficients...in english, less drag. The Cannalure design is o.k, but is primarily designed for shooting compressed loads. I'd look at benchmark powder for your lighter bullets, and H4895. The benchmark powder meters real good out the powder measure due to it's small diameter and short grain cut. This comes in handy if you just want to load some bulk rounds for blasting, where you don't intend on hand trickling each load down to the exact micro weight. You will still get a fairly consistant pour. Just my .02 worth.
Old November 17, 2007, 12:43 PM   #4
rn22723

If I was loading match ammo for NRA Highpower for 600yd ammo I might consider Lapua brass. But, geez I would just as soon prep some same year headstamp LC, or RP, or WW brass........much cheaper and just as effective.
for other uses.....I would not be crimping anything but blasting ammo or SHTF ammo..

OTM bullets do not need to crimped.

Most do not come with a cannalure, althougth at times Nosler and Sierra have 77gr OTM bullet with a cannalure............on the market. Otherwise a CH tool or Corbin tool is needed to impart a cannalure on bullets.

Varget is not powder measure friendly for volume reloading I would offer you look at perhaps TAC as being easier to measure and works well with mid to heavy wt bullets......
Old November 17, 2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Scorch

I shoot my AR in Service Rifle Match frequently, and so I load quite a bit of 223 ammo. I shoot 69 gr Hornady BTHP match bullets, so I do not crimp my loads. If you intend to shoot in CMP or Service Rifle matches, crimping is not necessary, and most match bullets do not have criming cannelures. Many 22 caliber bullets come with cannelures. If you are going to load up full mags of ammo and blast away, by all means crimp your loads. I would not buy a tool and roll a cannelure in since it distorts the bullet (theoretically at least). Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Winchester, and Remington all have 60+ gr bullets available. Check Midway for bullets and pricing.

Varget is a very good performing powder for the 223, but is not really easy to load. I load WW748, and recommend a ball powder if you intend to load lots of ammo.
Old November 19, 2007, 10:27 AM   #6
lastchancebaby

Thank you very much for the extremely useful info!

Hello,
I really appreciate your advice; moreover, I will incorporate all of these suggestions into my loading routine. I really like the Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullet (all copper); has anyone had any experience with this round for say deer @ 100 yards?
Thanks
Old November 19, 2007, 10:32 AM   #7
lastchancebaby

Excuse the previous mis-nomer

I meant Barnes bullet not round.