The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Denezin

Stevens

My friend is looking for a HD gun and i suggested a 12 gauge. Now we decided to check out what walmart may have and they had a Stevens model 320. I didnt get a on hands close up look but it looks sturdy from a far with the stock being fiberglass. Now i also like the model 350. Anyone have any experience with these or own one?
Old August 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #2
evilleprichaun

stevens 350

i dont know much about the 320 but i have a 350 and i love it. i think its perfect for HD. i personally like the bottom ejectors its perfect for ambidextrous shooters and if your in a hallway the shell isnt bouncing off the walls. ive never had a problem with mine it cycles perfectly ive shot everything from #8 birdshot to slugs to 3" 00 buck so whatever you prefer for HD you can rely on it. all in all its a great shotgun and comes at a great price
Old August 8, 2012, 09:16 AM   #3
94bluerat

We sell both and they are solid guns. I wish Savage was able to produce the Stevens in Westfield instead of ROC.

The 350 is based on the Ithica 37. We have one with a ghost ring set up. Looks nice, but the front sight is not plumb with the receiver.

Cheers!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old August 9, 2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Denezin

thanks for the replies so far! i might even get one myself
Old August 17, 2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Bill from Boomhower,

I too, am considering a 350, and would love to read more from the rest of you guys that like/dislike either model, and why. I'm also very interested in the Norinco 982, which I can modify easily. Either, or possibly both may wind up accompaning me dailly, here on the farm. I need something that can ride in the trailer with tools and dirt behind the tractor in the weather etc. The 350 with only one hole to feed dirt plus being on the bottom, would seem ideal. I would leave this gun as is, other than an ammo sleeve on the butt, and probably a coat of Ceracote, or bed-liner (hate cleaning). I''ve already got guns I can't touch and use without commitment. I look forward to hearing more on these, and any simular models in this price range from the rest of you folks out there beyond Boomhower. Thanks, and a safe and enjoyable weekend to all.
Old August 17, 2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

IMO, the only thing these have going for them is being cheap. All are clones of US made shotguns, which are often available used for less than what these cost at the box stores.

While some seem to be well made and trustworthy, how do you know how yours will last? And if it doesn't, how sturdy and likely is manufacturer support going to be?

Used 870s, 500s and 37s last way longer than we do. In fact, I've not seen many of the classics worn to the point where a rebuild was needed, and some have well over 50K rounds through them. But then, I've only done this for 53 years or so.

Buy American....