The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 23, 2009, 04:45 PM   #26
Te Anau

The Sig Mosquito is waaaaaay overpriced for the materials it is made of.It also tends to be finicky about ammo & is generally problematic.Same goes for the Walther P22.A far better choice would be the excellent Beretta Neos.

Last edited by Te Anau; June 24, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old June 23, 2009, 05:15 PM   #27
scottaschultz

Quote:
Yep, that USFA 12/22 is a beautiful revolver. But it sure ain't cheap.
That's actually not a bad price considering it is a USFA. The blue version has an MSRP of $750 which is only $100 more than the typical street price of a S&W 617 10 shot (but the 617 comes with a satin stainless finish). I have seen the nickel 12/22's listed at $1150. OK, now that is getting expensive for a "plinker".

Scott
Old June 23, 2009, 06:43 PM   #28
allenomics

I'd get a cheap/durable Ruger 22/45.
Old June 24, 2009, 11:58 AM   #29
chucksolo69

I have a Mosquito and love it; I don't see how anyone can say it is overpriced for the materials used. It is a great gun....the early models may have had issues, but that is no longer true. During break in, SIG recommends that you use CCI Mini Mags for the first 500 rounds or so. Mine has been flawless with these and I shoot them exclusively, although I do believe mine will work with most any high velocity ammo. The thing I like about my Mosquito is that it feels like a regular gun, not toylike, which is the case with the Walther P22. And yes, I had a P22 and it was probably the most inaccurate .22 I ever had. Also, I have a Kimber conversion kit for my SA GI .45 auto and I recommend this conversion kit. However, The downsides to it are, it is expensive, and when in use, it makes your .45 unavailable; also, the slide does not lock open after the last round, although the user's manual says you can dry fire the gun without damage, and, there is absolutely no felt recoil when using this kit. It feels like you are shooting an airsoft pistol. That is why I bought the Mosquito. All the previous "bugs" (no pun intended) that infected the Mosquito before seem to have been resolved by SIG. BTW - The Beretta Neos seems to be a great gun.......but absolutely butt ugly. I just read an article about the return of the Whitney Wolverine that praised it and I think that would be a great alternative to the "ray gun look" of the Beretta Neos. I don't care how good the Neos shoots, I just absolutley hate the way it looks and would not even consider one on that fact alone.

Last edited by chucksolo69; June 24, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old June 24, 2009, 12:20 PM   #30
Te Anau

Quote:
The Beretta Neos seems to be a great gun.......but absolutely butt ugly.
Only if you don't like the super awesome futuristic space gun look.That's the whole reason I bought one.
Old June 24, 2009, 03:43 PM   #31
ninjatoth

i'm really leaning twords the s&w rimfire.It's not too ugly and not too expensive,and i'd like to finally own a s&w and not just taurus stuff
Old July 8, 2009, 12:56 PM   #32
celtgun

No personal arsenal is complete without a 22 rifle and at least 1 22 pistol. Fun, economical, lots of ammo choices. From garden varmits to small game nothing is any more practicle. For begining shooters of any age they are a great training aid. WEAR HEARING PROTECTION, especially with handguns.
Aquila offers many ammo selections in 22, from quiet to extra fast.

Good site on rimfire
RimfireCentral.com Forums

"The unarmed man is not just defenseless - he is also contemptible." Machiavelli
Old July 8, 2009, 02:46 PM   #33
srt 10 jimbo

I hear mixed results on the Sig.
Old July 8, 2009, 02:56 PM   #34
Brian48

Cheap? Like many have mentioned, look for a used Ruger MK II/III or 22/45. There are many out there that are in great shape. Even then, these things shoot forever.

I spent $249.95+tax on this LNIB specimen last month.

Last year, I picked up this Ruger 22/45 (with the optic sights included) for only $229+tax.

I'd recommend the Single Six as well, but you've already got revolver and plus they're generally not as cheap.
Old July 8, 2009, 10:45 PM   #35
Hagar the Republican

Let's see . . . the title of this thread was "Cheap .22 plinker."

That rules out any of the quality revolvers made by S&W, Ruger, or USFA.
If you want a good reliable .22 automatic, you will have to get either a Ruger Mk. II or III, a Browning Buckmark, S&W 22A, and some have mentioned the Beretta Neos.

There is a reason why the Ruger is the best selling .22 auto in the world, bar none. It simply works better than all others in its price range, and is very accurate. A hard combination to beat.

The second best seller is the Browning Buck Mark, for the same reasons. Both designs, Ruger and Browning have been around for many years, and back when I sold guns these two made up at least 80% of all .22 pistol sales.

The S&W 22A hasn't been around as long, but most owners are happy with them. There is a recall regarding them presently, but it should not keep you from buying one. S&W will handle the problem if that is the one you like.

The Beretta Neos was just coming out when I got out of the business. They might be a fine automatic, but the common remark I heard was, "goofy looking." Again, that is not a big factor. Many folks didn't like the looks of the old S&W 2206 (no longer available), but it was one of the best little .22s ever made.

Please don't buy a Taurus anything. Quality control has really gone down hill, and customer service really sucks. "Lifetime warranty" means you can keep sending it back all your life, and maybe you'll get lucky someday and they will get it right.

There are others I did not mention, but I am sticking with the big sellers. Some the .22 mouse guns (Beretta Bobcat, Walther P22, etc.) are problematic and not known for accuracy.

For about $300 you can get a basic Ruger, Buck Mark or S&W 22A, and it will serve you well for the rest of your life. That's what I suggest. I'm not just touting my favorites, because I actually don't have either. I have five .22 handguns, but they are a bit more expensive guns.

A S&W or even Ruger revolver is even better, but you're talking real money. They are not "cheap .22 plinkers."
Old July 8, 2009, 10:55 PM   #36
Prof Young

Heritage single action

I have a Heritage single action that only cost me $129 new. It has two cylinders, one for 22lr and one for 22 mag. It's a good looking gun with laminated wood handle, and firber optic sights. It shoots well and is as accurate as any long barreled small hang gun can be. For the price, it's a great gun.

Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old July 9, 2009, 11:58 AM   #37
MrKTI

Well apparently most missed the word cheap.

Look for a Firestorm (Bersa) .22 ... hard to find but avail. Not a target gun, but read up on them. You said plinker. I would assume buying used would make most sense here keeping the cheap part in mind.

I gave up looking and bought a P22. Some stupid quality issues that can easily be addressed. Only pay attention to reviews from folks that actually have one. Not cheap, but just way cool. You must least handle one, especially if any lefties in your family.

I have one of everything, or have had, and this little P22 is the coolest .22 yet.

John
Old July 10, 2009, 08:52 PM   #38
Wobble

What's cheap? I like the Ruger Mark III but you should be able to find good used Mark I or II models reasonably priced. Or an older Ruger Single Six.
Old July 11, 2009, 07:05 AM   #39
woad_yurt

I love this one....

It's an H&R 676 convertible double action six shooter. It'll be around forever and it is one crazy tack driver. The thing is accurate, accurate, accurate! The price: about $200 on Gunbroker.

Note: If you want to stick with .22 LR only, H&R made tons of guns, mostly holding 9 rounds, all of which are very reasonably priced. $150 will get you a nice one.

Old July 11, 2009, 07:45 AM   #40
m&p45acp10+1

I have 2 Ruger MKs both inherited from my grampas. My fraternal gramp left me his MKII he bought it when they first came out and shot it like no tomorrow, as well as the rest of the family like dad, my aunts, and grandma. It outlived him, I still shoot the crap out of it. It shoots very acurately still. There is no way to count how many bulk bricks of .22lr this thing has eaten.it would be in the thousands for bricks. Never had any problems out of it.
The other one is a MKI from my maternal grampa. It was bought when they first came out. same thing on outliving the owner, has been shot by prtety much every family member. It eats everything from cheap to hot. It goes bang every time, has never jammed in my 26 years of shooting it.
Old July 12, 2009, 08:13 AM   #41
Re4mer

I'm getting a .22 conversion barrel for my G17 since its cheaper than buying a whole new gun. Might want to look into one for your auto's most brands have an aftermarket conversion barrel and .22 mags you can use.
Old July 12, 2009, 01:09 PM   #42
Azul

Yeah the Heritage Rough Rider

$169 at Academy Sports.

Tags