The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2005, 10:35 AM   #1
Norman

Reloading The 45 ACP

I use a Dillon Sqare Deal B and Dillon 550 B press to load for my 45 ACP and other cartridges. I reciently had a lot of work done on my springfield 45 ACP and started loading cast seim-wadcutter bullets. Has anyone experienced more accurate 45 ACP loads when using the Dillon 550 B press and Redfield Competition or Redfield regular dies compared to loading with the Square Deal B Press ? I have not thoroughly tested and documented the results from the two presses but feel that I will get more accurate ammo using the 550 B press and Redfield dies. What do you think ? Thanks Norman
Old July 26, 2005, 11:41 AM   #2
Sully2

"I use a Dillon Sqare Deal B and Dillon 550 B press to load for my 45 ACP and other cartridges. I reciently had a lot of work done on my springfield 45 ACP and started loading cast seim-wadcutter bullets. Has anyone experienced more accurate 45 ACP loads when using the Dillon 550 B press and Redfield Competition or Redfield regular dies compared to loading with the Square Deal B Press ? I have not thoroughly tested and documented the results from the two presses but feel that I will get more accurate ammo using the 550 B press and Redfield dies. What do you think ? "

I think your going to find that "accuracy" will come with the quailty of the components used..AND the "consistancy" you use in "proper" reloading technique. You can get EXECPTIONALLY accurate rounds..using good quality dies...best quality components..and the best reloading procedures on a $30 Lee single stage press! lots SLOWER to use of course....but unless the PRESS and DIES are total junk..the press itself isnt the BIG factor.

Redfield dies over..?? Maybe. Square D VS 550B...I doubt it. But I doubt for any REAL practical usage...that the redfields for a 45 ACP have it all over a set of $20 Lee dies!
Old July 26, 2005, 11:58 AM   #3
caz223

With .45 it's all about component selection.
I went with the 550 so I could use dillon's dies and the lee carbide FC die. And swap toolheads easier.
My favorite load with .45 centers around hornady's XTP-HP bullets, CCI primers (I think any primer would work.) and unique powder (Excellent for .45.). Sort your brass by headstamp. I prefer WIN, starline, or PMP.
But as long as the brass is consistant, almost any brand will do.
Try that combo, and if you're not satisfied with it, then I'd think about upgrading to the 550, and your choice of dies.
If you sell your old press on Ebay, you really won't lose much money. Esp. if you buy your 550 on e-bay.
If you don't like the 550, you can always sell it on ebay, and not lose much, but then the only upgrade is the 650, unless you want to go big time.
Seriously, check Ebay for dillon prices, used models almost command full retail....
The resale is almost insane.
Old July 27, 2005, 05:02 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

not complaining

I believe (but cannot prove) that a press that allows the use of different dies to be more able to deliver ammo that exhibits extreme accuracy.

But I also believe in "process"..........

I use single-stages and one Dillon XL650.
Old July 27, 2005, 04:14 PM   #5
Sully2

"I believe (but cannot prove) that a press that allows the use of different dies to be more able to deliver ammo that exhibits extreme accuracy.

But I also believe in "process"..........

I use single-stages and one Dillon XL650."...

WOW! I had to read that about 4 times..lol Your referring to a 550B / 650 model as compared to say the SQD press.?? Interesting!!

What are you up to anymore dude?