The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 5, 2001, 04:21 AM   #1
BigMike

Stock options for 870 HD

Hello All,

When I bring my 870 up to my shoulder, I find the rubber butt snags like hell on my clothes. My buddy also had the same problem. Are there any other "ends" or stock replacements that are less likely to snag? Even as I practice swinging it up it just wants to snag on me. Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike.
Old November 5, 2001, 05:35 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A coupla things COULD help, Mike. Here's the most likely....

Proper form.Practice moving the shotgun forward just a skosh as you bring it up,then back into the "Cup".

Proper fit. HD shotguns tend to work best running a bit shorter than sporting ones do. They're shot like rifles, so they should be stocked like them. Since you're BigMike, this may not be the cause. Removing the pad and practicing a few mounts can show if this relates to your difficulties.

Slick up the SIDES of that pad by painting with a clear nail polish to reduce friction. Do NOT do the part that contacts your shoulder/chest area.

If all else fails, get a different pad, tho the standard one isn't bad.
Old November 5, 2001, 08:03 AM   #3
9mmMike

I had this same problem with a slip-on recoil pad that was, 1., Too grippy and 2., made the stock too long.
I replaced it with a Pachmayr prefit pad from Cabela's that works great for me.
I did see another Pachmayr pad while I was searching that had a hard plastic insert in the upper-most rear part of the pad that was supposed to allow the stock to slide up your clothes.
Good luck,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old November 5, 2001, 10:18 AM   #4
milcaztra

rubber butt?

I'd take sand paper and sand down the top corner of the butt, then apply some kind of light spray laquer to smooth out the surface. Brownells sells an aerosol for this purpose, but a Walmart lacquer should do as well. You should round off the top of the butt for quicker shouldering of the weapon.