The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2013, 04:20 PM   #26
totalloser

The best advise I can give to a beginner after get a *few* reloading books, is to start with a turret press. I got a single stage as a spare press for random operations to supplement my full progressive, and quickly dumped it in favor of a turret even for these operations.

Take the time and read up FIRST. This is especially difficult with the books showing up with the press, but take the time, it will pay off in spades. Lee's modern reloading is a fantastic beginner book, and still my go-to most the time. Just skim over the product cheerleading.
Old November 2, 2013, 04:59 AM   #27
Mike / Tx

Most any of the cast frame presses with care will handle a lifetime of loading and then some. I'm still using ban old Wells press my pop bought back in '62 and it does a great job.

Your on the right track with the kit and after you get your feet wet you can upgrade a little here and there.
Old November 2, 2013, 03:14 PM   #28
TRex99

I still use the same RCBS single stage press I started on 25 years ago. It will easily outlast me.

Quick story about RCBS customer service:
I thought I had lost the primer catcher in a move a few years ago, so I sent an email to them asking if it was still available so I could order one. A week later one shows up in the mail, no questions asked.