The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2012, 02:06 AM   #1
dab102999

Federal Large Rifle/LCT

Are any of you using Fed. Large Rifle primmers in your Lee Classic?? I know there is a lot of difference in primmers but when my wife got me the Turret set up last weekend I knew I would need more primmers, he asked what I used. I told him last time I bought primmers I bought Remingtons but I know I was about out of them, then I asked him what he uses and he said he uses Federal so I didn't even think any different and said give me a box then. Now that I am reading the paperwork it says not to use Federal???...so is this just a safty precausion from Lee cus they had some problems or is this a definate NO-NO? So are any of you useing Fed. in your LCT?
Old May 3, 2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Scimmia

The Lee Safety Prime primes away from the primer feeding mechanism and should be able to use Federal primers just fine. What paperwork are you reading? Lee recommends against Federal in their systems that prime in the same place as the feeding mechanism because the higher sensitivity of Federal primers makes the more likely to go off if seating them incorrectly. If this happens in something like the Safety Prime, oh well, a primer went off. If it happens on something like the Pro 1000, the high sensitivity primers still in the tray/ramp could all be set off.
Old May 3, 2012, 03:34 AM   #3
dab102999

I know I read it for sure in the newest Lee reloading book (can't remember title off hand) in the section about priming and thought that I read it in the set up instructions of the LCT press also, or maybe the safty prime insturctions but again can't be sure on that one. (I was pretty tired by then) I have been working 14+ hours a day and about 20 minutes in the chair trying to read at the end of the night and it's la la land for me...I used to reload years ago and since I am getting back into it I tought it would be a good idea to get a couple new books to catch up on the latest and greatest. And when I read that a flag went off in my head.

The place I bought my stuff from seemed very knowledgable, and I really liked the fact that he knew what I wanted and didn't push me into sales that weren't needed. In fact on a couple of things he even sugested even though it would be a good idea to get back set up and going and then see at that point if I felt other stuff was needed..again he reloads himself and throughs lots of rounds cowboy shootin and such and those are the primmers he uses.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
dab102999

Thanks scimmia. I went back and read it again in modern reloading and lee says it is o.k. to use federal in auto prime xr and safty prime. But as u stated not inoriginal auto prime, auto prime 2, pro 1000, or loadmaster..

Again thanks.