The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
BUTCHER45

Airgun Bobcat Hunting Report from Western Oregon....

stalked and spotted at 35 or so yards. She went straight down with a neck shot, and I put another .45caliber EPP/UG into her heart for good measure as she lay there, though it probably wasn't necessary (I'd rather not risk having to track in the terrain to either side of her). Female 14.5lbs after bleeding out for a few hours.

I shot her at a distance of about 35yards.....I peered around the bend in the path, and saw her sitting contently quartering away from me, apparently focused on something in the brush? Perfect opportunity for a neck shot shooting the .45caliber EPP/UG boolit.....worked awesome.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/100_0185.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...100_0186-1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/P1020297.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/P1020302.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...5/P1020293.jpg
Old February 3, 2011, 03:35 PM   #2
davlandrum

You got serious mojo going, sneaking with in 35 yds on a bobcat!!! Even on a logging road, that is good work!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 19, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
m_liebst

!.?8*

:barf:

Last edited by m_liebst; February 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old February 19, 2011, 11:15 PM   #4
BUTCHER45

m_liebst wrote...

"what do yah do with the cat, do ya eat it?
I'm not really sure why you take such pride in shooting animals that haven't much use. Do ya shoot the yotes because they live off your livestock or do ya just like to muse at how easy it was to finish off game. Damn with all you so called varmint hunters, we won't ever be able to appreciate nature. There'll be nothen left alive. I guess that's why they call yah butcher.

How bout try killin a 200+pound boar with a bow-(not a compound, but somthin old school and legendary..- like a recurve. Then stand on that animals own ground (not up in your blind high in the tree) -while trying to defeat it.

You'll never need to hunt small hopeless critters again..."

You have NO IDEA what I am about, nor just how difficult it is to hunt the way I do, where I do. The odds are always stacked in the critters favor.

Maybe YOU don't have any use for a Bobcat, but I've got PLENTY of use for this Bobcat. Cougar, and Bobcat is known to be some FINE eating, by the way.

If killing was my main concern, why would I hunt with such a short-range weapon (much like archery)? Why would I bother hunting the most challenging animals I can possibly hunt? Why do I enjoy using handcalls rather than an e-caller? Why do I refuse to hunt over bait?

Where I live, there is nothing easy about hunting predators. I would say the hunter pursuing predators where I hunt them, has much less hope than the predators. I enjoy the challenge, and developing the skill necessary to succeed.

As far as appreciating nature, I come home empty handed way, WAY more than otherwise, yet still enjoy each outing to the fullest. Coming across a beautiful stream, or an unusual sight in the woods quite often makes my day.

Old February 20, 2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Daryl

Congrat's on the bobcat, Butcher45! Very nice!

Those who have never hunted them will never know the enjoyment of the challenge, or the excitement of success when it finally happens.

Daryl
Old February 20, 2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Well done Butcher and great pictures too. Just reading your post, you "get" what hunting is all about. Congrats.
Old February 20, 2011, 08:36 AM   #7
hooligan1

Nice "kitty" dude, and a beatiful country to hunt em in! Life is good for the butcher!
Old February 20, 2011, 12:31 PM   #8
m_liebst

wow,...okay

No... I understand and I do appreciate nature though. Interesting though what yah say, didn't know they had edible meat, let alone the small amount.

In my parents property in guernville ca we once had a more plentyfull source of these cats roaming, but i cant say i've seen many of these amazing looken things around in recent times.

Whether it be from overhunting or the species dying off, I wouldn't know.

Any way congrads to the shot that you were able to place. Don't mean to pry in on the intelligence, and patience aspect of the hunt for you. These cats sure are intelligent. I didn't really realize people ate coyotes and cats, but now this makes it more official hunting.
Old February 22, 2011, 01:24 PM   #9
FrontSight

My spidey sense is detecting a troll in this thread...
Old February 22, 2011, 01:50 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Nice work, Butcher.

------------
Quote:
Damn with all you so called varmint hunters, we won't ever be able to appreciate nature.
Quote:
In my parents property in guernville ca we once had a more plentyfull source of these cats roaming, but i cant say i've seen many of these amazing looken things around in recent times.

Whether it be from overhunting or the species dying off, I wouldn't know.
Before you start blaming hunters for not seeing wildlife in your area, you need to look around...
The massive metropolitan area you claim as your home, and the ignorance of the people living in it, have more to do with scarcity of species, than hunting pressure* ever will. (*hunting "pressure" is non-existent for cats, and generally no more than a buzz-word in most parts of the country. The animals almost always have the upper hand.)
Old March 1, 2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Dr. A

i'm curious as to why an airgun? (Said he who hunts with bows). I use mine on the edge of town for our incredible squirrel population and to thin skunks. Other than that, I've found mine sorely lacking in DRT. The bow doesn't drop them where they stand, but they rarely make it 40 yards.
Old March 1, 2011, 12:20 PM   #12
BUTCHER45

Dr A, is your air rifle a .45caliber like mine? This airgun I am hunting with has ballistics about like a .45Colt cap and ball revolver, or lightly loaded .45ACP, with under an inch c-to-c accuracy at 50-yards (a very precise short-range weapon). 750 cast .45Colt boolits for $90 shipped to my door, free propellant, and the fun factor are off the top of my head just a few reasons "why an air rifle".

Check out my write-up on the coyote I got earlier in the week. Coyotes are tough critters for their size, but this one didn't make it any further than 20 yards when hit with a less-than-ideal shot at about 50yards distance. This was using a very light for caliber slug. I'll be switching to heavy WFN slugs here pretty quick.....going to try to get an airgun coyote kill on video using them.
Old March 1, 2011, 12:38 PM   #13
Dr. A

I've got a Spring piston 177 and a 22, but have not found anything I wanted to stick my neck out on in what you speak of. Interestingly, I just read up on Pyramid air one that takes a charge of air (very high pressure) and gave about 6 to 700fps with a 45 cal bullet. I am sure its deadly, but see the limitations with such a gun. I also found an article on the air rifle that Lewis and Clark had (Giardoni), and wondered why such a gun wasn't reproduced at this point? a 20 shot repeater?

What do you air yours up with? Thanks for your response!
Old March 1, 2011, 01:16 PM   #14
BUTCHER45

My 909 has had a power-tune, and throws 154grainers at around 870fps. 220grainers about 750 fps. Inside 50-60 yards these bigbore airguns work great.

I air mine up with a Hill Pump, which resembles a bike pump on roids that is capable of 3000+psi. I get 4-5 really hard shots per fill of air. Carbon Fiber tanks are much easier to use, but can be challenging to get filled at times.

Check out the .45Ranger offered by XP Airguns....all the power of a .45Colt shooting them heavy slugs.
Old March 1, 2011, 04:07 PM   #15
Dr. A

Is that a 5 minute pump up that gives 5 or 6 shots?
Old March 1, 2011, 04:47 PM   #16
BUTCHER45

Yea just about five minutes for four shots out of mine. When using a CF tank it's a matter of 20-30 seconds or so.
Old March 1, 2011, 06:17 PM   #17
Balog

Very impressive Butcher. Is it possible to fill the air tanks with a compressor, and carry a couple of spares? Not that you'd need that many shots in a hunting situation, but the compressor bit is good info for shooting around the homestead.
Old March 1, 2011, 06:22 PM   #18
huntinaz

Nice shot and nice pics!