The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2008, 06:09 AM   #1
under_dawg

Anybody worn out their Lee Factory Crimp Die yet??

I have been reloading 357 since December. I've tried an assortment of bullets. My favorite target/plinking load is an Oregon Trails Laser Cast 158gr LRNFP on top of 3.9 gr of Trail Boss. They measure .358/.359, which is slightly bigger than the Rem 125gr SJHP (.356). I thought I may have purchased a bad box, but I measured a few of the original box I bought and they were the same. Well the point is when I run these through the LFC on my last turret hole, they are TIGHT. I had by press outside mounted to a heavy work bench in the garage on the first box of these I loaded and remember them being kinda rough, but not like this. I recently moved my operation inside on a much thinner mounting surface and boy let me tell you, I feel every bump - 2 going up and 2 coming down. Is this tearing up my LFC die or is it normal?
Old May 18, 2008, 07:06 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

yes

You're feeling the die work'.

I've run a few cartridges through LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Dies, and all are still going strong.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:06 AM   #3
rwilson452

normal,the die has a sizing ring at it's base. your feeling both the sizing ring and the crimp ring. you might also want to clean the die. they will collect dirt and lube after awhile.
Old May 18, 2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Alleykat

There shouldn't be that much "work" being done by the sizing ring. Usually, that would indicate something wrong with the bullet specs and/or seating regimen. The FCD will resize/deform lead bullets that are usually.001" greater in diameter than their jacketed counterparts.
Old May 19, 2008, 07:26 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

"Heavily"

For 'revolver' cartridges I am heavily invested in the Redding Profile Crimp Die; it offers both a gentle and extremely symmetrical taper, then finishes (if so set) with a superior 'roll'.

Demonstrated enhancement of both accuracy and velocity consistencies.

As with ANY 'crimp' or 'finish' die, vary and retest.
Old May 19, 2008, 08:16 AM   #6
jlchucker

I use LFC dies for every caliber that I load for. I even use them for bolt-action rifle calibers, applying a very light "bump" to insure equal case-neck pressure all the way around the bullets. I never wore one out, but a 45-70 LFC came apart on me one time, and the internals came out, revealing nothing more than a little collet held in place by a round spring that fit in the groove. This die had been used a lot, and after a few failed attempts at fixing it, I gave up and bought a new one, when I found it on sale. They are'nt very expensive to begin with, but are an indespensible tool for some calibers--35 Remington, with its stubby little shoulder, comes to mind.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Sigma 40 Blaster

Mine gets like that when it is dirty. No matter how much you flare the case mouth there'll still be some lube or lead shavings from seating, not much but over the course of 500-1000 rounds it will accumulate. I clean mine with a nylon bore brush and regular solvent, cleans it right up.

You can also decrease the "bumps" by checking the amount of flare you're using, too much will cause very rough entry into the die, too little has caused me a bunch of that nasty build up.