The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1
itman

Case lube

I want to get back in to reloading (.300 Win mag, .223). But the one thing that I really don’t like is lubing the cases before resizing. Because of the time and the mess on my hands. I use to use RCBS case lube and pad. Can anyone suggest something faster and cleaner (for me)?

Thanks
Old July 23, 2005, 12:01 PM   #2
rwilson452

lube mess

Some things to think about:

Hornaday one shot in the spray can

Lyman qwik spray

RCBS lube die(s). (lube goes in the die and it decaps too.)

RCBS Case slick spray lube

Roostr PDQ-21 spray on lube.
Old July 23, 2005, 12:22 PM   #3
armedandsafe

Imperial Sizing Die Wax rubbed into a lube pad. If you do it right, you don't have any cleanup after loading. It doesn't take 5 pounds of lube to load 50 rounds.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old July 23, 2005, 02:05 PM   #4
caz223

Hornady one shot.
Old July 23, 2005, 02:51 PM   #5
G56

It was like a breath of fresh air when I tried Hornady One Shot, I'll never use a lube pad again!
Old July 23, 2005, 08:26 PM   #6
swmike

Has anyone tried any of the Dillon Lube?

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old July 24, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7
smedley

If you are using the same brass in the same rifle I would invest in a neck-sizer die. It will eliminate the use of lubing the whole case and only having to lube just a bit on about every 5th or so (when you feel drag). This will also cut down on working the brass to were it needs to be trimed as often. I have been able to get 4 to 5 neck sizings before I need to full size and trim. This has saved a lot of time and also improved accuracy in my rifles. The less time at the bench means more time at the range!!!
Old July 24, 2005, 05:09 PM   #8
itman

Quote:
I would invest in a neck-sizer die.
Smedley and anyone else. Do I understand that you need a set of neck-sizer dies and a set of full size dies? I have a set of full size dies coming for my .300 win mag. And now I am thinking (after reading your post) they maybe I should pick up a set of neck-sizer dies.

Also I would like to thank everyone for the lube suggestions. I just ordered a tin of Imperial Sizing Die Wax. And I will try the one shot stuff when I want a change. Again thanks.
Old July 24, 2005, 08:39 PM   #9
donkee

I use Imperial sizing when resizing .284 Win cases to 7.5x55 Swiss. Other than that, go ahead and laugh, I use the LEE case lube. Pretty darn good stuff...
Old July 24, 2005, 10:06 PM   #10
smedley

Neck-Size Dies

itman,
yes I have seperate "full-length" and "neck-sizer" dies. When I get new brass or am sizing for another chamber I full-length size. Once they have been "fire-formed" in MY chamber I just neck-size them. The neck-sizer die won't force the walls in which is the reason for the lube to begin with. You will need to give a little lube, which could be graphite dry lube, to the inside of the neck to keep from dragging of the expander ball.
I have tried to just neck-size with the full-length dies but I still have the walls push in on me which causes brass flow which means possible trimming which leads to shorter case life which leads to buying more brass and so on and so on.
Also on a side note "itman" I am rebarreling a Ruger MKII from 7mm Rem to a 300 win MAG through HART. I will be getting a full set of dies for it as well.
Old July 25, 2005, 06:13 AM   #11
Olaf

I have always just used the Lee case lube. I apply it with a Q-tip. Simple, easy, etc. It takes about 10 - 15 seconds per case. I am not a high-volume handloader, so this works fine for me. The Lee lube does not contaminate powder, also, unlike petroleum-based lubes. Cleanup is accomplished with a damp cloth - simply by wiping down the cases after sizing. Then, I wash my hands. No big deal.
Old July 30, 2005, 08:38 PM   #12
Poygan

I suggest trying Gardner Bender Wire-Aide which is a wax based wire pulling lubricant, 79-006. I think I paid somewhere around $4.00 for a one quart bottle. I squeeze a little on my fingers and wipe it in a thin coating on the case. Can size wet or dry. Wipes off easily. Very similar to the Lee product but for much less. Water based.
Old July 30, 2005, 10:06 PM   #13
Wildalaska

laugh at me Im old fashioned, still using RCBS pad......

WildnohassleAlaska
Old July 31, 2005, 06:46 PM   #14
drinks

Case lube

I have used Johnson's paste floor wax for both case and cast bullet, lanolin, a lube put out by Herter's, Lyman's, Lee's and the latest, Hornady Unique, a 4oz tub of a white cake, only takes a light wipe with a couple of fingers and good for 4-6 cases, just sorta fondle the cases as you pick them up to put in the shell holder, before you wipe again, also use it to lube cast bullets while putting the gas checks on and sizing.
I have not tried the One Shot, but have read several posts both for and against it.
Even the ones who liked it said the instructions were not very good and it had to be spread all over the case or some cases would stick.
Don
Old July 31, 2005, 07:14 PM   #15
Leftoverdj

I've been using anhyrous lanolin lately. Put a little dab on one palm and rub my hands together, then rub a handful of cases between my hands. Need another dap every 8-10 handfuls. Cases don't stick and my girlfriend appreciates it.

Polygan, I would not be the least surprised if Wire-Aide is Lee's case lube. Richard Lee wrote somewhere that his best ideas came out of his mail. He tried suggestions and put the best into production. I think that I read when his case lube came out that it was an industrial drawing wax that he was repackaging. Liquid Alox is thinned underbody coating, and the prototype for his case feeder was a two liter soda bottle. Think somebody sent him the prototype for the bullet sizer, too.

That ain't a slam at Lee. He was smart enough to read his mail and listen to his customers, which is more than I can say most companies. He was also smart enough to get those ideas into production at a reasonable price.
Old August 1, 2005, 02:36 AM   #16
Tim R

itman, you more than likely started out with the old RCBS case lube like I did that you could just never get rid of. The stuff was bullet proof. Now I use RCBS case lube 2 which wipes off with a damp rag. I did have to buy a new case lube pad though when I made the switch.
Old August 1, 2005, 06:58 AM   #17
ulflyer

SWMIKE: You asked about Dillon lube. I've used it for some time and its about used up now, but it was a good lube. A

As an experiment I bought one of the little bottles (about 1 oz.) of RCBS lube that goes on pads, added about 1/4 of that to a bottle of alcohol and put it in a fine mist spray bottle. I failed to measure it but added a little at a time and tried it on some 45 cases till I got it where it was not noticably oily after the alcohol dried. Works good, and makes enough to last a lifetime.