The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 19, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
RCP Fab

M&P40c

Few months ago I got a used Sigma. Took it apart polished everything changed the springs and really enjoyed the gun. It's comfortable to hold and shoots great.

Then the 10 round law passed in CT, and I've been struggling with carrying a fairly large gun, as the weather's getting warmer, with a magazine partially loaded.

So for the past 6 weeks or so I have been hunting for a specific M&P40c, with no mag safety, no internal lock, no thumb safety.

Friday I found one. Range report soon.

Old May 19, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Ruger45LC

Looks good!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:33 PM   #3
B.N.Real

Darn nice gun-don't forget that range report.
Old May 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4
RCP Fab

Hopefully this weekend. I still have to hunt down some ammo.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
SIMP

Great buy. I love my M&P series and I hope you do as well. I like carrying small guns and I find the compact M&P still a tad too large for me. It's usually LCP, LC9 or Shield that gets the nod. Glad you can pull off the compact....I'm just a weenie.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:29 AM   #6
RCP Fab

The compact with the flush mag base conceals perfectly for me. With the extension it leaves a pointy mark in a T-shirt. The gun is just good in my hand with the flush mag, and absolutely perfect with the extended one. I am going to grab another extended base plate for the fall/winter/spring months, and just keep the flush one for summer.

Other than that, it's going to need some striker block work and polishing to smooth the trigger up, but I will do that after I shoot it. I scored 300 rounds of .40 at walmart last night, so this should be a good range trip.

My sigma probably had the smoothest trigger of any of them out there (even with the 10lb pull, but I was carrying it at 6lbs or so). If I could get the m&p half as smooth, with the significantly shorter reset length, it should be just about the perfect trigger for carrying and shooting at the range.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:17 PM   #7
RCP Fab

Just about ready for a trip to the range on Saturday.

Old May 24, 2013, 10:34 PM   #8
SIMP

Enjoy your trip.
Old May 25, 2013, 03:53 PM   #9
RCP Fab

Range review from today:

This gun is phenomenal. 150 rounds of white box 165gr without a single issue.

I was shooting at 7 yards today.

At 7 yards it is unbelievably accurate. By far the most accurate hand gun I've owned.

It was pouring rain so I didn't save the targets to take pictures, but my best slow fire group was 3 shots in one ragged hole, 4 shots in another, and 3 other shots. Total group size was about 1.5" (at 7 yards).

Single handed (good hand) very good

Single handed (bad hand) kept it in 3-4" groups.

Rapid fire, the gun is very controllable, and the short trigger reset makes repeat firing much easier than my Sig p250 and Sigma ever were (both had very long trigger pulls).

What surprised me most about this gun is the recoil, or lack there of. Even with the shorter barrel (compared to the sigma) it has much less recoil.

The other thing that surprised me was how little of a difference the extended grip made on accuracy. Though it feels better in my hand, I seemed to shoot the same with both magazines.
Old May 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #10
TunnelRat

I have a M&P 9c. The accuracy out of that little barrel is pretty startling. Glad you enjoy yours!
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 27, 2013, 09:59 PM   #11
mohawkdcg

I also have found the M&P 40C to be the most reliable handgun so far. I have over 1300 rounds through it so far. A lot of that in very hot sand blowing conditions with no malfunctions. I've used cheap Blazer aluminum rounds, dirty Remington UMC for plinking and training and Federal Hydro-shock self defense ammo. Going to try some Hornady Critical Defense ammo next.

It's a great combo of light weight and short trigger distances that conceals well. I also put the Crimson Trace hand grip laser on it that is about the same diameter as the medium hand grip.

Now I'm wondering about the M&P Shield for a backup up gun but haven't been able to find one to try out.