The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2013, 09:54 PM   #26
Crankylove

I have loaded True Blue in .32 H&R Mag, .327 Federal, and 9mm.

In the .32 H&R and 9mm, it worked ok. I used mid-range load data for both cartridges, and had no trouble with pressures, but, accuracy is less than stellar (ok for soda cans at 15 feet, but they are definitely not target loads) compared to loads with different powder, but same bullets, at the same velocities.

The .327 Federal was a whole different animal. Severe pressure signs with even moderate loads, and very inconsistent accuracy. I tired different powder charges and bullet weights, but was flattening primers with just about every load I tried. Very inconsistent performance overall for me.

I still load it for the 9mm and .32 H&R Mag, cause I dont really want to try and work up loads for any other pistol cartridges with it, and I am trying to get rid of what I have left. I bought it cause it was $5 a .lb cheaper than other powders at the time, but after loading with it for a bit, I don't see myself buying any more.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:22 PM   #27
LivewireBlanco

23.7 gr of X-Terminator with a 55 gr bullet. Most accurate load I've shot PERIOD!
Old February 21, 2013, 01:50 AM   #28
NWPilgrim

Quote:
I load with win 231 mostly but I am going to buy some HP-38 just to try it out.
I had to chuckle because I just bought my first keg of HP38 because I could not find any W231 in stock. I know it is really stretching my worldview but I am a wild and crazy guy, why not!!

Seriously, TAC is very popular in .223. I even have a pound of it (ssshh, I haven't got around to trying it though!). But Ramshot powders are not as widely available on shelves in normal times as are Hodgdon, Winchester, Alliant and Accurate powders. The Ramshot website actually has an excellent PDF load data sheet for a wide variety of bullets and all their powders. Lack of shelf space and little load data outside their own data sheet limits its popularity.

The older powders have a lot going for them still and there is wisdom in if it aint broke don't fix it. I have enough to do just working up loads for all the new bullets I have to buy when the older ones are no longer made or available. Hey, I reached out several years ago an tried Universal as an alternate to Unique, does that count? I do have to credit my son-in-law for introducing me to some of the newer powders in .223 such as IMR8208xbr and CFE223 (even H335 was "new" to me). I was doing OK with Varget and H4895 but some of the newer ones are pretty darn good. H335 is my favorite for 55-69 gr, but SIL is getting fantastic groups with 8208 over the same bullet weight range.

I try to live by that bright light of modern day wisdom Red Green, "I am a man and I can change, if I have to."
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 21, 2013, 05:59 AM   #29
Bamashooter

I use Tac for my 223 reloads. Its a very good powder across the board. I use others but if I had to pick one powder for 223 it would be Tac.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:56 AM   #30
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
Quote:
Quote:
Rifle primers light it off nicely in .30 Carbine.
...Just wanted to add that it should-- and that you should never use pistol primers in the .30 Carbine as it's a catridge that reaches a 40k psi max. Same with .327 Federal peaking at 45k. Small rifle primers ONLY.
I wasn't clear in my post. I meant it to indicate SRM primers weren't needed for the carbine and standard small rifle primers worked just fine.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:55 AM   #31
trapper300RUM

Ramshot Powders

I only use thier ENFORCER in my 44 Magnum & it as good as any of the others if not better i used the Smartreloader ISD Scale & Despencer & it functions excellent through the despencer
Old February 21, 2013, 03:12 PM   #32
FrankenMauser

Quote:
FrankenMauser, what calibers did you use the True Blue in? I was going to try it in my 327.
Primarily .327 Fed and .32 H&R.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:30 PM   #33
milo-2

Given the current situation I think Ramshot would be a easy alternative. I'm not positive, but I think anyone with an FFL canorder from Western Powders.

I've tried Zip in 45acp and it did everyting I asked it to, and it was available during the last crunch.
I have a freind who really likes it, Tac in .223. I think Hunter in a .260 AR platform, and others.
There's a disturbing trend of people just jumping on some cult following of certain powders, just picking one and asking on these forums for loads without really trying anything else, like Varget, H4350, H1000, etc....
Not saying those powders are bad by any means, far from it, just saying people aren't exploring any other options, creating the mess we see today.
Old February 21, 2013, 04:17 PM   #34
Gdawgs

Milo, I'm kind of the opposite. I see a powder at the store and I'm like "Hmmm, I haven't tried this one yet." And then I get it. I like playing around with different powders and my powder cabinet is starting to show it.

I've only come across one powder that I found completely worthless and will never buy again and that is 700X. Could be my powder measure but it didn't meter at all for me. Liked to clump up going through my meter. I gave it away to the neighbor.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:04 PM   #35
Toolman

I've used TAC & Exterminator for years in .223 & .222. I use Silouette & True Blue for .45 ACP. (Burnt thru about 12lbs of TAC) I really didn't want to tell anyone about RamShot (Western) powders cause they would drive the price up. But they found out about it anyway.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:09 PM   #36
Toolman

700X

Gdawgs,
You're right. 700X doesn't meter worth a darn, it's a flake powder, but it's still one of my favorite, cleanest burning powders for .45ACP. when you get done shooting your stages, the gun doesn't look like you've been burning coal in it.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:59 AM   #37
Big Yac

the only Ramshot powder I've used is Enforcer in my 454 Casull. It loaded fine, no complaints and infact seemed to not have the big muzzle flash that 296 produces. I still like my 296 but if it wasnt available for whatever reason I'd have no problem loading with Enforcer. I have yet to try it in 357 Magnum.