The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1
MosinM38

1911 problems (ALOT) Accuracy+slide,etc.

Okay.

I had these problems.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=359689

Awhile ago.

Okay, here's the skinny since that thread ended.

After one HUGE FINAL rubdown of everything after cleaning and a heavy lube, the 1911 is running flawlessly (Even limp-wristing). Everything was spick and span before the last cleaning, but it seemed to do it.

WHY it was jamming? no clue. Worked fine for over 100 rounds now, so I doubt it was the extractor, and..leastways, I am clueless on that.

Okay, now I was out group-shooting it this afternoon (Making sure it was sighted in), and there's a few problems I noticed.

#1. The thing will NOT group anymore. I always figured I either was in a bad day, exasperated at the gun,etc.etc. Nope. Went out with it, took a HUGE amount of time being very cautious with it, and managed 3, 8 shot (Mag size) groups, all were 5.5-6", so it is consistant on that.

Before, it could garunteed go under 4", a lot of the time it was right at the 3" mark. I am 95% sure it isn't me, as for referance, I fired a 3" quick group with my Sig and a 3.5" with my Browning HP.

What might the problem be, and what could I possibly do to cure it? I heard (Oh so wonderful internet authority), a Barrel Bushing may be a improvement? I doubt the barrel would be shot out, as it's only had about a thousand rounds through it, almost all 230 grain FMJ.

#2. I noticed this awhile ago. I'll start at the beginning.

It has always been a little picky about the slide catching after the last round is fired. I wasn't real worried, as I figured it was the $6.99 generic magazines I was using. Some worked good, especially the 2, Army-Surplus ones I got. I got a pair of 8 round Mec-gars and those were good too. Just as it started jamming, it began not catching.

Well now that it is running good (not jamming), it now refuses to lock back with all but 2 magazines, both generics. I have 7 other magazines it will NOT lock back with.

I have tried them in dad's Springfield and they work good in it.

Any suggestions? I figured maybe the slide-latch-pin maybe was stiff, and lubed it's contact points, no luck.

I'm sorta exasperated with it all. a thousand excellent rounds, and now a string of small, but irritating problems.

If it takes much (Like a new barrel, etc.), I may say "Trading time" and get rid of it, either getting another RIA/High Standard or moving up to a springfield, as I paid $400 for it and much for parts will about equal a new gun.

Thanks!

P.S. The gun is a High Standard, AKA Armscor, AKA Rock Island Armory.
Old August 1, 2009, 03:28 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not owned one of those guns, so maybe I shouldn't say this, but they seem to be the low end of the totem pole for 1911's and some folks have reported the same or similar problems. You are close to falling into the "money pit" trap, throwing money at a gun until you have many times more in it than it is worth.

IF (and it is a big IF) the materials and tolerances are OK, a pistolsmith MIGHT be able to make something of the gun, but the cost would only add to your problems.

I don't think it would be smart to trade on another gun of the same make; what is true of one most likely is true of all. Try another brand.

Jim
Old August 1, 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Tom2

Bear in mind that there is nothing wrong at all with the 1911 design, it is just dependent on who is making it. If you get a good proper one, it will make you forget all about that travesty.
Old August 1, 2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Are you hand loading these rounds?

Never mind, I see from the other thread that you are not.... A quick google search turned up some others RI owners with similar problems. I'd call RIA and see what they have to say.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 1, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:26 PM   #5
orionengnr

+1 on contacting RIA. There was a thread (here or on THR?) not too long ago titled something like "RIA wants to hear from you!"
Ah, here we go:
http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread...light=RIA+hear
(Charles Daly, RIA, Armscor are all manufactured by Armscor)

FWIW, I had a Charles Daly 1911 a few years back.
Good thing they didn't ask my opinion back then...
Old August 1, 2009, 05:42 PM   #6
GringoGrande

Yeah, that is a very low end 1911, with that Charles Daily being the worse 1911 I have ever handled. I suggest selling it and getting into a Para-Ord GI Expert for about $500 or so and just solve all your problems all at once.
Old August 1, 2009, 09:57 PM   #7
MosinM38

Okay.

I guess the thing that's odd is accuracy would suddenly disappear. Most problems I've heard about RIA's being inaccurate is straight out of the box.

And for a thousand rounds it worked awesomely, so I was thinking it was maybe a lemon.

A couple of things.

#1. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I swapped the barrels on my High Standard, and Dad's springfield. It was late, so I only shot 1, 6 round group with each, but it looks like with a new barrel, mine's grouping back to normal, while dad's (using my barrel) is scattering. I'll check it better tomorrow and see for sure.

#2. I am still puzzled by the slide catch. I can't find a thing as to why it isn't working. Tomorrow I'm gonna take steel wool and polish it up (As much as steel wool can, basically take off any crud) and really lube it up.

THe last 2 are questions.

If I get a new barrel (I dunno, I might just go to my next question), what make is recomended? I figure a good name would be better than a no-name generic.

Secondly, what would be a good working level 1911 if I did get a new one?
Springfields are good, but again, foreign made (Brazil. Or at least dad's is marked Brazil).

Para ordnance. Good, but are they that much better than Springfield or RIA?

Anything above $500 is out, because I am getting a WORK gun, and not a $1,200 gun so I can beat it up.

It should be capable of 3" at 25 yards, and I would MUCH prefer the standard 1911 grip and NOT the 1911A1 style. The A1 style feels weird, and for me, felt recoil is more.

Those requirements seem to go to Para-ordnance, but...I mean. RIA/Highstandard/Armscors are going for $400. Para-Ordnance's are going for $480. That is still "Cheap" in the 1911 arena. Is it thus, that much better? Considering it's that, I might just shell out an extra $200 and get a doublestack P-14 by them.

Thanks for any help, and I'll report back tomorrow after I try them out better.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:10 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, what do you mean "work gun"? Just a junker to play with and no thought of anything else? About any gun will do, including the one you have, since it won't matter if it works or not.

But if you are a LEO and you mean a gun to carry on the job, then you want the very best you can possibly afford, and you have to ask why your life is only worth $500 (or less).

Another gun by the same maker might be better, or it might be worse. But the real world says you get what you pay for. Sure the high priced item may be a lemon, but overall the least expensive is more likely to be unsatisfactory than a higher priced item.

Jim
Old August 2, 2009, 07:06 AM   #9
MosinM38

I meant something that gets beat up, and will be exposed to more scratches, gouges and bangs than imaginable

Maybe I'm picky, but even on something like that, I want reliability and accuracy. When my 1911 was throwing it's shots, it's frustrating not being able to hit a gopher sitting PERFECTLY still at about 20 yards, where with my Sig it just flopped over.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:06 AM   #10
MosinM38

Okay.

Cleaned the barrel.

It was MOST of the problem. THing I did, first time I used standard Hoppes #9. Last time I used actual Barnes Copper Solvent and it was amazing the extra junk I got out of it.

Leastways, not as good as I'd like, but the groups are down to 3.5" rested so it'll work I guess.

I tried dad's slide catch and it solved my problems, so I'll probably order a new one.

Overall, still a good gun, but I may sorta make it a second one, and at a later date get a Para-Ordance too. Biggest gripe, is that I would probably concealed carry with it, and in that instance, I'd REALLY like the groups to go under 3".......I know.5" ain't alot, but it is something....
Old August 3, 2009, 08:06 AM   #11
CowTowner

Have you thought about re-crowning the barrel?
Just my 2 cents worth.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 4, 2009, 06:59 AM   #12
MosinM38

Hmm.

Never thought of that. Might be worth thinking on alright.

Thanks!