The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2002, 08:32 PM   #1
nsf003

How do i crimp a 9mm without ruining the case?

I reload .38s and they require very little force to seat the bullet and crimp the case. I also try to reload 9mms, but every time I try to seat one it crushes the case or deforms the bullet. it always takes huge amounts of force to seat one. Is this normal? Can I fix it?

nsf003

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old March 28, 2002, 08:45 PM   #2
JimmyDee

This is not normal.

It sounds as though the case mouth is not being flared before seating the bullet. Hmmm...

But your thread title indicated that you were having trouble crimping the case. It seems that crimp - in that 9mm requires a taper crimp - occurs in a later step.

How 'bout telling us what setup you're using and what steps you're going through; we can then be more helpful.
Old March 28, 2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

You might be trying to crimp too much. It doesn't take a lot of a taper crimp to be effective. Try screwing out the crimp die and screw in the seating rod the same amount to compensate.

Or, you can do what a lot of us do and that is to seat and crimp in two separate operations. I use a large thick washer under the crimping/seating die (so you don't have to keep adjusting the die stop) and screw in the seating rod to the proper depth and seat all the bullets. Then remove the washer, screw the seating rod out enough so that it doesn't touch the bullet and then crimp all the rounds.
Old March 28, 2002, 08:56 PM   #4
1goodshot

You are using 9mm dies right?
Old March 28, 2002, 09:27 PM   #5
jjmorgan64

It sounds to me like your crimp is too far down, you are crimping the brass before the bullet is seated fully,
thus you are pushing the bullet through the crimp, if this was lead it would shave it, but with a jacket bullet it buckes the case.

Just a possibility, one of the many screw ups i've done

JM
Old March 28, 2002, 09:42 PM   #6
nsf003

I flare the case. How much is enough. I have the carbide dies that taper crimp and seat in the same step. It doesn't crimp right.

nsf003

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old March 28, 2002, 09:50 PM   #7
Steve Smith

I think the crimp portion needs to be backed out considerably. Try this:

Back out the seater portion of the die, then the entire die (or crimping portion.) Place a factory loaded round into the shellholder and run the ram up. Run the crimp portion of the die down until it touches the case a little firmly. Lock that part of the die. Now run the seater down to where it touches the bullet a litlle firmly, and tighten that if applicable. (not applicable on Lee dies). Load a round and see how it looks, and make some measurements. I'll bet everything's a-ok then.

If not, you might not me flaring the case enough. You should flare it to maybe .015" to .020" over the non-flared state. This may be excessive, so try it if all else fails and see if it helps.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member