The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2002, 07:03 PM   #1
UltimaThule

Neck sizing question

I'm going to get off my backside and start loading some target loads in 6.5x55, and I have a good supply of once-fired brass. These cases will actually chamber in my rifle, with some difficulty, without sizing. This obviously (?) means that they have been fired in tighter chambers (Sauer 200 match rifles) than the one in my rifle, an older match rifle built on a Mauser action.

Here is the question: Can I neck size these cases, or do I still have to full-size them the first time?
Old April 1, 2002, 07:32 PM   #2
Bogie

If they've been fired in a significantly (or even not so significantly - I tend to think in terms of .0001" instead of the .001" that a lot of reloaders deal with) shorter chamber, you could have problems with case stretching or catastrophic head separation. If you do reuse this brass, load a "start" load, and seat the bullets into the lands for the first firing in your rifle. That'll keep the head against the bolt and keep the case from stretching as much. Trim to a uniform length, and then neck size.

Personally, I'd buy new brass, and a Lee Deluxe Collet Die set. I use the collet dies for my factory rifle barrels, and Redding or custom dies for my custom barrels.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old April 1, 2002, 08:29 PM   #3
sricciardelli

Anytime brass has been fired in a different chamber it is advisable to full-length size them. If they are going to be dedicated to one firearm after that, then neck sizing is advised.
Old April 2, 2002, 01:13 PM   #4
Bogie

FL sizing is responsible for more case seps than anything else.

How to minimally FL size, for bolt rifles only:

DO NOT screw the die down to touch your shell holder. This ain't a straight wall pistol case. Start with the die backed out, then screw it in until it sizes the brass just enough to chamber.

Old April 2, 2002, 02:25 PM   #5
UltimaThule

Bogie, it looks like you answered the question I should have asked: How to stress the cases as little as possible during the reloading prosess. I will try "minimal FL size". Concerning the difference in chamber lengths, I don't think it's enough to be dangerous, but of course I will work up carefully, especially since this is a cartridge I haven't reloaded before, just been fooling around with straight wall pistol cases. Thanks, guys!
Old April 2, 2002, 04:44 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ultima, your comment, "These cases will actually chamber in my rifle, with some difficulty, without sizing." sez to me they were fired in a minimally larger chamber than that of your rifle. Otherwise, there would be no difficulty at all.

The cases I might worry about would be those which just drop in and your bolt closes just as though there were no case in the chamber. Cases like that might have enough "set-back" at the shoulder that firing with a full charge might cause case-separation.

Anyhow, for those "difficult" cases, neck-sizing alone should be sufficient.

I've often fire-formed range-salvage brass by first neck-sizing and then loading whatever's the cheapest bullet I could find ahead of 20 to 25 grains of 2400. Then trim cases to proper length before continuing on...

, Art
Old April 2, 2002, 06:49 PM   #7
Bogie

Art, which caliber was that 2400 load for? Make sure that nobody tries that with .223, for instance...