The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1
OnTheFly

TFL Group Purchase

Has anyone ever tried to get a discount by getting a large group of TFL members together to make a purchase? This is what I was thinking...

Lets say I want to purchase a stripped AR-15 lower. I start a thread requesting that serious interested TFL members express their desire to purchase. In the example of a lower, we vote on a lower brand (DPMS, Double Star, etc.). I contact the manufacturer with the most votes and discuss how many we would need to purchase to get a discount. Then I post on the original thread the price, minimum number of buyers required, and a cut-off date. All interested buyers would be responsible for contacting the manufacturer/distributor with their order. The buyer would provide a form of payment and advise the retailer that they are a part of the TFL group. If, by the cut-off date, enough TFL members have contacted the manufacturer, our payments are processed and the lowers are shipped.

Has anyone tried this or am I just dreaming? Here are the hurdles as I see them...
  1. To get a good discount, we would have to get a LOT of serious buyers together. 20...50...100?
  2. We would have to agree on a manufacturer. In my example there are several quality lowers, but getting a majority to agree on one brand may be difficult.
  3. People would have to follow through.

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 24, 2008, 11:48 PM   #2
OnTheFly

Test...test...is this thing on?

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 26, 2008, 12:58 AM   #3
Big Don

Yup, it's on. Good idea and one I have tossed around a bit myself but was thinking more along the lines of bulk ammo purchases. Getting the shipping straightened out might be a little confusing but the savings could be worth the hassle. Don't despair, someone else should stumble onto this. Either that or post in the general discussion area.
Don
Old March 27, 2008, 12:21 AM   #4
DIXIEDOG

Seems ilike it would be an amazing amount of work. There have been several at http://ar15.com but most people only do it one time
Old March 30, 2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Fly320s

OnTheFly,

Take a look at www.thehighroad.org and www.ar15.com

Group buys are fairly common on those two forums. Some go well, some don't go anywhere.