The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 1, 2000, 10:51 PM   #1
Rob01

I am going to be buying a Sharps and have been told that I can't fire all 45-70 loads though it because of the pressures. I ran across the PMC which says it reproduces the original load with the 405grn LFP and a velocity of 1250fps. I'm sure this is safe but I was wondering how the leading was with this load? How about accuracy? I've never shot lead from a rifle before and plan on shooting both lead and jacketed bullets with loads from my Sierra manual. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on loading for the Sharps along with any info on the above load for me. Thanks.
Old November 2, 2000, 08:43 AM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

The load I use for my Sharps is 25 grains of Accurate 5744 and a hard cast 405 gr. lead bullet. Of course,if you really want to have fun with that rifle,shoot black powder. That's the only way to really "reproduce" the original load. Leading shouldn't be much of a problem with the PMC load.

Bellicose Bill
Old November 3, 2000, 09:24 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I use the Accurate 5744 also. I load 23.5 gr for around 1250 fps with a 405 lead flatnose out of a rebarreled original Rolling Block.
Many ammunition manufacturers now make a "cowboy" load(s) for quite a few calibers, from the smaller commercial loaders (Black Hills et al) up to some of the largest (Winchester etc)
Old November 6, 2000, 02:35 PM   #4
shunt

I've had very good luck with the PMC load in my 1885 High Wall. I've tried several of the cowboy loads, including some new ammo made specifically for CAS and have found that the PMC shoots cleaner than most (a big surprise considering everything else they make is dirty). Accuracy has been as good as the others, and you can't beat the price, about $12.50 a box at "Cheaper Than Dirt".
Old November 8, 2000, 03:33 PM   #5
WINTERVILLE WILL

My favorite...27 gr. AA 5744 behind 405 gr. handcast lead RNFP in an IAB Sharps...very accurate...no leading...gives you quite a thump tho'