The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 8, 2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Hossless

Winchester 70 .300 win mag in trade

Hey all, just traded my almost new condition Rossi lever action rifle in .45 long colt for a 90's manufactured Winchester model 70 in .300 win mag. It was in filthy condition and the scope had a bad ding on the front of the front edge (fixed that). Straightened and tightened down the scope and disassembled and cleaned the rifle. Took it to the range and with 150 gr. Remington Core Lokt ammo was hitting between 1" and 1.5". Now this is with an older Simmons AETEC scope. The scope held zero and I am ELATED with the accuracy of a rifle that has been abused to say the least. I just finished free floating the barrel and adjusting the trigger down to about 2.5 lbs. How much of a difference do you all think the free floating of the barrel will make in the accuracy of the rifle? Oh ya, just put a Limbsaver slip on recoid pad - that should help also... I absolutely love the action on this 70, one of the smoothest I've ever had - like butter. I'll try some other ammo down the line, but the guy I got the rifle from, told me this win mag loves the 150 gr. core lokt.
Thanks, Hossless
Old August 8, 2014, 04:46 PM   #2
AllenJ

Congrats, sounds like you got a rifle you're really going to enjoy. As for free floating the barrel it may or may not help accuracy, only shooting is going to tell. Some guns, for whatever reason that I don't know, seem to like having pressure on the barrel. If you find your gun is one of those you can always put them in. Tuning the trigger down to 2.5 pounds should help accuracy, and for sure putting a good recoil pad on a 300 Whinny is going to help I shot a Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag for years as my primary hunting rifle until I just could not take the recoil any longer. Let us know how the next range session goes.
Old August 11, 2014, 09:12 AM   #3
WildBill45

Good trade! A good shooting rifle with a few bumps and dings is a good working rifle in the rough stuff ... no worries about more dings.

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old August 11, 2014, 04:58 PM   #4
Mystro

. As long she is a shooter the deer won't care how pristine it is. My mid 90's Model 70 300win loved 180 Power Points. It would shoot a $18 box of shells better than anything else.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old August 11, 2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Paul B.

I run 200 gr. Speer Hot Cores in mine. Nearly 2900 FPS and it's put 3 shots into 1.25" at 200 yards from the bench more than once.
Paul B.
Old August 15, 2014, 11:07 PM   #6
fatwhiteboy

My son bought a M70 in .300WinMag about 10 years ago at Walmart, I bought one in .270Win. Both are excellent rifles. He took a hog at 302 yards with his using 200gr Barnes TSX hand loads. It kicks like a mo'fo' but he loves it....
Old August 16, 2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Paul B.

If your son's rifle is the same model as mine, it probably has a recoil pad as hard as the Rock of Gibralter. Mine liked to have killed me every time I shot it until I replaced the pad with was Pachmeyr Decelerator. Last time I was checking the sights just before my elk hunt, my hunting partner just couldn't understand why I wasn't complaining about the kick as it moves me back about 14 inches every time I fire a shot. I told him it's simple. I've learned to ride with the recoil instead of fighting it. Works for me with the .300 Win. but nothing seems to work with the .338 Win. Mag. That one flat out kills me. I'd rather shoot my .416 Rigby from the bench than that blasted .338 Mag.
Paul B.
Old August 16, 2014, 06:47 PM   #8
jmr40

Those 1980's and 90's pushfeed Winchesters are under rated and undervalued. Great guns that can often be found at bargain prices.