The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
billtheshrink

Case Lube

I have used Dillon case lube, Hornady etc. and recently I saw a video with a guy mixing liquid lanolin with HEET and 99% isopropyl alcohol. A friend at the range saw same video. HE said you need to HEAT the solution. So folks, my quest is how much to heat and how? Does it need heating with each reloading session? Is this a viable solution to case lube? What are yoru thoughts?
Thanks !!!
Bill
Old June 17, 2013, 07:05 AM   #2
wogpotter

You absolutely do NOT need to "heat" Lanolin & alcohol. I've been using the stuff for several years & it works fine at room temp as long as you give it a shake before shpritzing to ensure an even mix. I use a 2oz bottle of liquid lanolin to a bottle of "yellow Heet" that's it.

I think your friend is either mistaken or using way too little alcohol.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 17, 2013, 07:11 AM   #3
GerryG

For mixing the home brew case lube, you mix the liquid lanolin with 91-99% iso alcohol. If you can not find the 99% alcohol, you can substitute it with Heet as it has alcohol as part of it's makeup. You do not add both iso and Heet to the lanolin.

To get the liquid lanolin to mix better with the alcohol/Heet, some people would boil some water in a pot, remove the pot from the flame and put the lanolin bottle in the water to increase it's viscosity before mixing it with the alcohol.
Old June 17, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
chiefr

I guess home concocted lubes may work, but I prefer to use one of the many case lubes already out there.
A couple of ounces will lube thousands of cases. I for one despise having a stuck case.
Old June 17, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
wogpotter

Quote:
to increase it's viscosity
I think you mean decrease as in "make thinner"?

Chief: this stuff works much better than several "factory lubes" which is why I use it.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 17, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Marco Califo

I have found that a very light film of White Lithium Grease ($5 for 10 oz tube @ Home Depot) works excellently and even makes re-sizing machine gun fired 308 easy. No mixing. I do tumble after sizing to remove it.
Old June 17, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7
BigJimP

With products like spray Dillon case lube for $ 9 for 8 oz ..../ when one 8 oz bottle will last for 50,000 cases or so ...

are you guys serious, you want to make your own case lube....
--------
If you shoot at a range....where you can cast your own lead bullets...that makes some sense...but not making your own case lube...geez...