The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 16, 2000, 02:45 PM   #1
george waters

I have a Husqvarna Revolver and am trying to put a value on it.It has the following markings Husqvarna 1078 PTB L No 1106 and I think it is a 7.5 mm. It also has a swivel ring at the base of the grip and is in excellent condition.I think it may be an antique.Anything you can tell me about it will be appreciated.
Thanks for your help
George
Old December 16, 2000, 09:48 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Your revolver is the Swedish Model 1887, in 7.5mm. The serial number is on the frame and the barrel; the larger numbers stamped on the frame are unit markings, but I do not know what they mean. Those revolvers are beautifully made. Many were imported in the early 1960's; like Swedish rifles, most were in very nice condition. Original ammunition is rare, but I think ammunition is available from Fiocchi.

The gun may or may not legally be an antique (pre-1898). They were made for many years and were in service up to 1947. If we are talking about US law, I would err on the side of caution and assume that it is not an antique.

I would guess that as described it would go for around $200-250, but others may disagree. The small caliber military revolvers of that era between wars (including our own 1892 series .38 Colts) seem to hold little interest for collectors, yet are a truly fascinating chapter in the history of military handguns.

As a shooter, the Model 1887 is very accurate. For self defense, it is almost up to the .32 Magnum; I would not want to be shot with one, but there are better calibers today.

Jim
Old December 17, 2000, 07:09 PM   #3
george waters

guns

I don't know how to properly thank Mr. Jim Keenan for his help but I hope this will work.You have been a great help and I thank you.
Now,to my next item which if you don't mind i'll do it all at once instead of one at a time.I am trying to come up with a value for the following.(1.) 410 bolt action shotgun Stevens model 59A fine condition. (2.)22 cal. ethica M49 lever action in excellent condition.

Thank you again for your help
George Waters
Old December 17, 2000, 11:38 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't remember that Stevens model, but they made a bunch of inexpensive bolt action shotguns, most of which have not held up well. In working condition, they are worth $75-100 as strictly hunting guns. If it is a detachable magazine type and the magazine is present, you are in luck, as many of those magazines have been lost and they are very hard to find.

The Ithaca Model 49 was an inexpensive single shot made to take advantage of an earlier "cowboy" craze back in the 1960's. It was made to look like a lever action repeater (and they made a later model that was), but they never worked well. The breechblock was made of some soft alloy and wore quickly. A particularly troublesome area is the extractor, which was a sloppy fit even on new ones and kept slipping over the case rim. The "Blue Book" says $145 for one in 100% condition, but I would say a seller would be lucky to get $100 for the average one.

Jim