The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Reduced 460 loads

Is it safe or common practice to load 454 or even 45LC levels in 460s&w brass? I am concerned about not creating enough pressure to expand the brass and getting blow by on the case. I bought a bunch of .452 bullets that are not ideal for full house mag loads but I want to shoot them.
I have 460 once fired brass
Federal large rifle primers
250gr XTP Hornady
I need to find some powder as I only have Power Pistol and HP-38
I am thinking of using a high volume powder (trail boss???) at high 454 levels.
I dont want mouse fart loads either, no fun to shoot. I would like decent performance out to 100yds. Possible these would make a nice whitetail round.
How do I determine COL? The bullets have a groove
I am thinking to try the Power Pistol around 15gr, safe load for Speer 250GDHP is 21gr. If I am that much less will it cause issues? Its about 20% below recommended load.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; June 14, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old June 14, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Gdawgs

I have never tried Power Pistol in 460, but that load of 21 grains should work fine with your bullet. I wouldn't reduce it much below that, maybe 20 grains. The data that Aliant posts on their website are generally pretty low to start with. For the most part, they rarely list full power loads.

Trail Boss would work too, but they are going to be mouse fart loads. You could stuff about 14 grains in the case with that bullet, but I'm guessing you'll only get about 1,000 fps out of it. Also, I have not seen great accuracy with TB and jacketed bullets.

The powder I really like for mid range loads is IMR4227. Looking through a few different sources, you should be able to start at around 38 - 40 grains with your bullet. From my experience, the velocities that Hodgdon has listed in their 460 section of their website are quite a bit higher than what I see out of my BRF(they list 40 grains of 2447 with a 240gr XTP mag at 2,000 fps, I don't get anywhere near that). The velocities that Hornady lists in their book are very close to what I get. I'm betting that that 38-40 grains of 4227, you'd be pushing your bullet at around 1,500 fps. That would be a great load for your bullet. The non-magnum version of the XTP should be happy at that velocity.
Old June 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #3
buck460XVR

Speer shows 19-21 gr of PP with their 250 gr GDHP and JHPs. This load works well for those bullets. I've found that the 250 gr XTPs tend to produce more pressure than those bullets so I suggest starting a tad lower. If you are using once fired factory brass that was originally loaded with the 200 gr SSTs, the cases will be shorter than standard cases and those too will produce higher pressure when bullets are crimped in the cannelure.