The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1
CS86

308 COAL

I've recently bought a Rem 700 308 bolt action and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I've found a few things that I'm a little concerned about. The magazine will only fit a max COAL of 2.825. I just bought the hornady 168gr A-max bullets and found that they chamber in the gun with a max COAL of 2.970. I would have to back off the 2.970 some for clearance. This seems like a big difference. Would a gun suffer accuracy with that much of a jump?

Being a bit new to reloading do I test rounds with the max COAL for the magazine or chamber first? Once I find a load that works well with one of the COAL dimensions will it substantially change if I try the same load in the other COAL? If that makes sense.

I'm trying to decide a starting point, but being indecisive because of the COAL difference. I guess its not critical that I have to fit them in the magazine meaning I would feed each bullet, but it would be kind of a bummer. I do want to work towards making this gun a tack driver though.
Old March 16, 2012, 11:15 PM   #2
dacaur

Dont get bummed out till you shoot it. Start with the recommended COAL for the bullet you are using.... I have found in my edge that even though I could load them longer according to the chamber and the mag, I get the best accuracy at 2.8:... moving .01" either direction reduces accuracy, and .02" kills it.....

Develop your load at a length that will fit in the mag, and yes if you change the COAL, its going to change the characteristics of the load, as I found with my results above.
Old March 16, 2012, 11:45 PM   #3
CS86

Thanks
Old March 17, 2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Ethan.G

best accuracy comes from the chamber length, if you really want that accuracy youl have to load them one round at a time, if you think +-1 inch (or whatever accuracy difference is) at 100 yards is acceptable then just load it for the magazine. For me it depends on the application of the bullet; hunting, go for the mag. Target, go single shot
Old March 17, 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
deepcore

If you can't bring the COAL to the Mag bring the Mag to the COAL

When you find out what COAL actually works best in your rig.
In the future you may want to consider changing the mag in Remington 700 to one that can accept that COAL, depending on what that COAL is (you'll have to check specs first).

For example Wyatt's CFE-5 (internal) replacement mag on their site says it will give you .110 more room.

Their detachable mag kit says it extends available COAL to 2.880.

They do not specify where the measurements are taken on the round though...
Old March 19, 2012, 07:38 PM   #6
30Cal

Factory chambers are always extremely generous. Don't sweat it too much. You should be able to get adequate accuracy without exceeding the magazine.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:02 AM   #7
Powderman

If the AMAX doesn't perform well, consider switching to the Sierra MatchKing. The bullet is somewhat similar in length, but the ogive is much further forward. This will bring the bearing surface of the bullet closer to the lands with the max OAL of 2.825.
Old March 20, 2012, 06:17 AM   #8
4runnerman

I shoot both 168 A-Max and 175 Serria Match. Both are very acurate at 2.81 COL. Not all rifles like to be right off the lands. If your hunting with it you need mag if you bench shoot, you load one round at a time any how.
Old March 20, 2012, 08:33 AM   #9
CS86

Thanks for the posts, and the recommendations of the sierra matchking. I will play around with some different bullets.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:55 AM   #10
PawPaw

I've got the same problem in my Remington 700. I'm not sure how long the chamber is, but the "jumped or jammed" question isn't an issue. Anything that I load long enough to approach the lands won't fit in the magazine. As mine is strictly a hunting rifle I go with what will fit in the magazine and so far it hasn't been a problem.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com