The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 22, 2015, 02:49 AM   #1
dakota.potts

Couple of questions with the VZ2008

I have a VZ2008 that I have a lot of fun with but I had a couple of questions about it. I'm considering using it in an upcoming competition because I'm very strapped for cash and I can get ammo for it a lot cheaper than I can for my AR. I'm confident shooting steel cased in this, moreso than with my AR

1. Mine shoots high. Really high. No matter which setting I put it on (the U battle setting or the 100m setting) it hits about 6 inches high. Is this normal for them? How can it be adjusted?

2. How accurate are the elevation adjustable sights? Most shooting will be within 100 yards, but there is one shot that will be taken at 275. Will dialing to the 200 or 300m setting get me close enough to be within a man-sized steel target?

3. How have you eliminated recoil on yours? I took off the slant muzzle brake that it came with and that did a lot to eliminate cheek slap. I also wrapped the stock in paracord to keep the cheek bite down. However, the thin metal stock makes me feel like I'm being punched in the shoulder with every shot. I'm looking at a muzzle brake from CNCwarrior but curious how effective they are.

Anybody ever used one in a competition before? How did it turn out?
Old February 22, 2015, 05:00 AM   #2
Pond, James Pond

Not exactly an expert, but is the front sight fixed?

If not, would that not be an option for adjust shots hitting high?

I also seem to recall that the U setting was some kind of catch-all "battle" setting. Perhaps focus changes using only the 100m rear sight increment.

I have shot both the fixed stock and the folding stock options and not had problems with recoil: I was actually stunned at how light it was. I was expecting far worse! (perhaps my expectations saved me!!) However, I have, cumulatively, shot very few rounds, so my experiences are by no means extensive.

If you are not against the idea there are many add-ons such as muzzle-breaks and M4 style stocks on Zahal.org Prices in $.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Orion6

Get an AK/SKS front sight adjustment tool. The sight screws in (if you look at the front post it should be threaded). Make the front post taller if you're hitting the target high.

The best front sight tools are the ones in the surplus buttstock cleaning kits. Or you can buy one off Amazon. I'd recommend some penetrating oil soaking in the threads before you adjust them, they are tight sometimes.

This should solve your issue.
Old February 22, 2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Erno86

Google: Mojo peep sight for VZ2008, from Mojo Sighting Systems

I like my Mojo rear peep, that is mounted on my Polish Tantal AK74

--- George Orwell
Old February 22, 2015, 11:35 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Get an AK/SKS front sight adjustment tool. The sight screws in (if you look at the front post it should be threaded). Make the front post taller if you're hitting the target high.
This is what you need to do.

The front sight of the VZ2008 is easily adjusted with this $10 tool.
Old February 22, 2015, 10:04 PM   #6
dakota.potts

Any good information on using the elevation adjustments? How accurate are they once it's zeroed at 100? Within a couple of I inches? Also, any experience with muzzle brakes or shoulder pads for them?