The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 15, 2015, 11:07 PM   #1
DruidKing

Advice for customizing Saiga

So I got myself a saiga rifle recently (7.62x39). And I am looking to customize it a little bit. I was thinking of replacing the lame generic stock and putting on one of those wooden skeletonized stocks. And replacing the hand guard with a wooden vertical foregrip. I don't want to be bothered moving the trigger group forward. So I question I have is: Is it safe to assume that if the furniture would fit on an ak47, that it would also fit on my saiga? Are the dimensions the same for the hand guard? If not, does anyone manufacture those desired parts for a saiga? Any other pieces of advice I'd be happy to hear it.
Old February 16, 2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
I don't want to be bothered moving the trigger group forward.
You should. It's an easy project that you can do yourself in an afternoon, and it vastly improves the rifle.

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that if the furniture would fit on an ak47, that it would also fit on my saiga?
Not sure what exact stock you have in mind, but if it's not made specifically for an unconverted Saiga, it won't work, as the pistol grip will be in the wrong place.

Quote:
Are the dimensions the same for the hand guard?
An AK lower handguard will not fit a stock Saiga unless you add a forward handguard retainer (CSS and others sell a bolt-on variety that is easy to install). You will have to install an AK gas tube to install an AK upper handguard.
Old February 16, 2015, 12:38 AM   #3
Tucker 1371

Fishbed is right. Because of the trigger position any standard aftermarket accessories for stamped receiver AKs will NOT work until you convert your rifle.

If I had a Saiga I would be converting it, just my $.02
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old February 16, 2015, 06:28 PM   #4
chris in va

'Unconverting' a Saiga is not that big of a deal if you have basic workshop items. Really the biggest PITA was bending the trigger guard...I think Izhmash uses high tensile tempered steel or something.
Old February 17, 2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
Really the biggest PITA was bending the trigger guard...I think Izhmash uses high tensile tempered steel or something.
You don't even have to fool with the trigger guard if you get one of the kits from CCS (Carolina Shooters Supply) that includes a new one. You can just cut the old Saiga one off.