The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 9, 2009, 07:53 PM   #1
DE Shooter

CMP Garand barrel break-in?

I've cleaned up and checked out my nephew's CMP Garand. He rcvd it just in time to ship out to his first duty station. Told me if I cleaned it up I could shoot it. I've shot two CMPs with standard issue rack guns. I want to see if this one is a shooter. I'm ready to put some CMP 30.06 ammo down range and sight in. The barrel looks brand new...no flaws...shiny, crystal clear lands and grooves....chamber and feed ramps are also flawless...I guess he paid extra. I've loaded clips and hand cycled many rounds...function is perfect. I lowered the rear sight to bottom and centered it. The front sight looks pretty centered. Is there any barrel break in procedure necessary? Don't see any barrel break-in on the CMP web site. Any info greatly appreciated.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:04 PM   #2
hodaka

Shoot it. These are surplus rifles and have been used. Make sure you are using Garand suitable ammo and CMP Greek stuff should be fine.
Old December 10, 2009, 01:56 PM   #3
10-96

Clean, it, grease, it, and shoot it. Also, you might start leaving the sights alone until you get to try 'em out on 25 meter paper. Whoever had it last might have had it pretty close (one never knows).

Unless I'm just way off base here- most Garands can expect to be 8-12 clicks off bottom unless it has an untouched front sight blade- then it could be as much as 18-20 clicks. I'm just sayin'... that's been my esperience.

Also, be careful cycling live ammo- stuff happens. You won't know if everything is flawless unless you have a timing block and at least 8 rounds down range.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.