The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2009, 10:44 AM   #1
MoBart

Hog hunting slug gun

Ok, heres a dumb question I guess. I have shot a few hogs over he years but always with a revolver, except once with a 30/30. I am grossly gun poor at the moment but think I'm going to go try and plug a couple hogs in Southern Mo after christmas. So, I have a tactical/HD shotgun, if I stick a rail on top and mount a low power scope, stuff some 1oz rifled slugs, I'm thinking I canreach out to 100 yeards well enough to smack the poop out of a ferel hog. Of course, I have to mount the thing and zero it before I head down but anyone got an opinion on how close to right I am? I would think that a 1oz slug would be more then enough in the vitals or shoulder either one to put even large hogs down. Missouri considers them vermin and not game animals so we can use what ever meathod we choose at any time we choose.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Christchild

Me personally, I'd be very confident hunting hogs with slugs. Out of a 20 gauge, I'd be confident...but a 12 gauge? Absolutely. Just sight in, as You've already mentioned, and go harvest some pork!

HogDogs would be one of the best sources of Hog Huntin' info, IMHO... Calling HogDogs!!!
Old December 17, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
MoBart

thats what I fgured but I haven't shot a 1oz slug since I was 20 probably. And that was because I broke a scope about 3 days into deer season that year and didn't have the time or money to fix or repace it. Ever try a 100 yard shot with a 20 gauge slug out of an old H&R single shot? I think I hit a tree 75 dergees left of me!!!! lol but I can't think of anything that would be as effective at crushing one shot stopps. They say a .45 acp is like getting hit with a sledge hammer, a 1oz 12 gauge slug would be like getting hit with a moderatly speeding cement mixer lol
Old December 17, 2009, 10:58 AM   #4

My buddy took a 400 lb black bear with a 12 gauge slug. You'll be just fine with the bacon.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Christchild

Quote:
a 1oz 12 gauge slug would be like getting hit with a moderately speeding cement mixer lol
At's a Roger!!!
The HD ShotGun you have, 12 gauge or 20 (I'm guessing 12, since You mentioned 12 gauge)? That's not the 75 degree shooter, is it?
Old December 17, 2009, 11:07 AM   #6
MoBart

no that was a 20 gauge H&R single shot. My first shotgun. Had a beed sight and I was being very optamistic trying a 100 yard shot. I was kidding about the degree of miss, I have no clue where that slug actually went, but I know for a solid fact where it didn't go!!!! lol
Old December 17, 2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Christchild

Then I'd say, definitely. I'd sight in, shoot a few at 50 and 100 yards (or just 100), then look forward to enjoying some fine wild pork...
Old December 17, 2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Doyle

If you expect 100 yds to be your maximum, DON'T sight it in at 100. Sight it in so that it is about 2" low at 100. That should put you dead on at your most likely hog range (about 50+ yds). At your 100 yd maximum range, you simply allow for a 2" holdover.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
globemaster3

I've shot hogs with 12 gauge slugs, but using a rifled barrel and sabots. Very effective. Just make sure to put in the range time using a smoothbore and rifled slugs. They are not as accurate as the rifled barrel/sabot combination.

If this becomes a common trip for you, a cheap, reliable, and effective option is the H&R series if you want a dedicated gun. They make single shot slug guns with either laminated thumbhole, plain laminate, or standard stocks for a very affordable price.

I recently read an article in Field and Stream about a group dedicated to accurate slug guns who host shoots. The current record holder, IIRC, is one of these guns.
Old December 17, 2009, 04:42 PM   #10
simonkenton

You have killed hogs with a revolver, why wouldn't a 12 gauge slug be a lot better? It is bigger and has a lot more energy.
Old December 18, 2009, 04:27 AM   #11
bamaranger

sighting system

I'm thinking that your on the right track by installing an optic of some sort.
Big criticism of slugs in a shotgun is that the simple bead that many folks have shot slugs w/ in the past, just does not allow accurate sighting for reasonable shot placement past 50 yds. Optics, or even decent rifle sights/peep are a BIG improvement.

Made a guy look pretty silly one time, after he challenged that I could not get hits on a silhouette target at 100 yds. w/ 12 ga std slugs. I backed off and lobbed five into the torso of one of our qual silhouette targets w/ Rem rifle sighted bbl. His problem was that he was shooting a bead sighted gun and had no experience w/ anything else.

Was Just talking slugs and optics w/ a hunting buddy the other day. He's setting up a slug gun w/ a dot sight to hunt whitetails in the pine thickets, probably use a 75 yd zero.
Old December 18, 2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Deerhunter

I shoot a Remington 870 with the Hornady SST slugs. I am 2 inches high at 50 yards. Hunting outside of Philly so there aren't that many long shots. I have a Millet Red Dot on it. Deer don't go far if they don't fall over right there. I can easily shoot a deer at 100+ yards.