The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 3, 2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

One Head Shot Option due to ammo blues

I was thinking about this as I couldn't find any ammo around town

Maybe IDPA could offer an option for matches or clubs could. How about a one head shot run. No double taps, or Mozambiques. At your option just to get some trigger time but with a modicum of difficulty - each target gets one to the noggin.

One could limit semis to 5 founds in the mag and start with 5+1 to keep the reload flow going.

Or the other option is to have a 22 LR division or allow it at club matches. I guess one could shoot it that way on your own and get scored down but why not try it?
Old May 3, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I am sure your club would love to have you design and conduct a low round count match. I know I would have when I was MD.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:42 PM   #3
NRAhab

Actually Glenn, that's such a good idea that my club is doing it (the .22 match). The USPSA Match Director is going to set up a .22 only match coming up later this year, specifically because of ammo prices.

As far as the "headshot" match, at our IDPA matches, we've been running a lot more 6 round courses of fire lately, as opposed to the 12 and 18 round courses. Sure, the 18 rounders are more fun, but ammo isn't cheap.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:20 PM   #4
rduckwor

Great Idea. Our USPSA match was only 150 rounds today instead of the usual 250 rnds. No ammo, no powder, no primers to be found.

RMD
Old May 3, 2009, 10:57 PM   #5
RickB

We had a .22 match at our club, a couple of years ago. Two or three guys spent an entire afternoon setting-up six very demanding stages, and about ten shooters showed up to shoot it the next day. Nobody's been willing to "stick their neck out", since. I like the idea of integrating rimfire into the regular match, and if it were up to me, I'd just make them shoot all headshots, score it normally, and see if it catches on. While I like the idea of rimfire practice, I really would prefer to treat rimfire as a regular division, and expect people to shoot as if they had to defend themselves with the rimfire pistol.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

So my club allowed 22s this weekend and I used my Buckmarker camper with a fiber optic site.

1. Cheap, fun and accurate.
2. Downside - reload is harded given the little hole in the gun for mag.
3. I need some kind of mag holder. I decided to try a pouch and the mags disappeared into some void and I had to dig for them. Anybody make a classic leather or kyder for the 22 mags?

But still neat.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Dragon55

I like RickB's idea of .22 division but only count headshots.